Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester cvt
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2014 Forester in Michigan a few weeks ago and was told by the salesman that the remote engine starter is $500! I've not had a remote starter before but thought that was an outrageous cost. Any thoughts about what the average cost is?

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Premium 2.0 AT w/ Manual Mode
267 Posts
I wouldn't only look at cost but distance as well, some people have complained that the OEM doesn't have the greatest range. Now that winter has come I'm going to start looking around at local places for remote starts. Price, range, quality are really what you should be looking at if your's doesn't have it standard I know I will be!

Update: Just called a local shop, remote start $323.39 800ft range out the door. http://www.avital.com/ that is the brand. Call around see what you can get.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Lim CVT
282 Posts
I was surprised by the cost as well, but is a good system, and the range is better than any GM car I have owned. The 2way communication to let me know it started is nice as well.

I do not have experience with aftermarket parts, so I cannot compare, but I do like the oem.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Auto
18 Posts
I'm afraid that this is one of those situations where the dealer has us by the throat. :shake:

Yes you can get a different brand for less BUT! Will it work? Will they install it properly? and let us not forget... IT COULD VOID your warranty!

$500 installed is more than the competition but this is a KNOWN product that does work on the Subie, and the lower price quoted here didn't include installation (I think) - with the installation the prices are close enough to err on the side of caution (and warranty :icon_rolleyes: :icon_wink: )

I hate being taken by ANYONE... but this is just one of those situations when you shake your head and pull out your charge card... :censored:

IMHO.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Premium 2.0 AT w/ Manual Mode
267 Posts
I'm afraid that this is one of those situations where the dealer has us by the throat. :shake:

Yes you can get a different brand for less BUT! Will it work? Will they install it properly? and let us not forget... IT COULD VOID your warranty!

$500 installed is more than the competition but this is a KNOWN product that does work on the Subie, and the lower price quoted here didn't include installation (I think) - with the installation the prices are close enough to err on the side of caution (and warranty :icon_rolleyes: :icon_wink: )

I hate being taken by ANYONE... but this is just one of those situations when you shake your head and pull out your charge card... :censored:

IMHO.
You make great points, personally I've worked with these guys before and trust their work. OEM is probably the better way to go just because of warranty issues but I wouldn't say that because it's OEM that it will work too. I expect that it would, but things happen. Lot's of people throw on aftermarket parts of any kind that could void a warranty. I'm not worried about it, at the end of the day it's my fault something goes wrong not anyone elses.:rock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts