Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is Coming, I want to be ready.

I didn't order the car with the OEM remote starter because of the honk that happens before ignition, the auto shut off from door opening "feature", and an extra FOB is annoying to anyone who doesn't use a purse.

I live in a townhouse community and leave for work pretty early sometimes. Honking at 4:30am is not how I want my neighbors thinking of me. It's a little different for my wife because she parks in the garage and her honk is muffled. I understand the Auto-Shut Off's safety value, it just annoys me and I prefer to live dangerously without it.

I assumed it honks because clicking the OEM RS remote twice (as instructed) I believe it locks the car twice which honks the horn. (1 click beeps, 2 clicks honks). So tried changing the settings to silent response upon locking which worked for the standard key fob, but not when the RS fob. Go figure.

I like the idea of staying with OEM parts, and the price for the OEM RS is fair (explained below). I'm sure it also has less liability, meaning it won't fudge with my warranties like an after market one might.

After looking into after market remote starters, it was determined by my local professional mobile audio shop that I needed a two part system to get an aftermarket remote starter to work. Some kind of Subaru computer hack transcoder device in addition to the remote starter system which bumps the price of a standard two-way remote starter system into the $600-$700 range (Installed). this is more expensive than Subaru's, but I was told it could by-pass the Honk AND the Shut Off on opening, which is ideal. I would still need an extra FOB though, and unfortunately they are the same size or bigger than Subaru's.

The question I have before I spring the extra money and take the risk with an aftermarket one is this:

Has anyone figured out a way to keep the car from honking before ignition whilst using the OEM remote starter?

I understand the range on an after market starter remote may be vastly superior, but I don't really care about that. The few times I'm in a hotel and the car is parked really far away where it would make a difference, I can just be cold.

What other differences can I expect between OEM and AM?

What are your guys experiences with them?

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
following along for this one... I too opted out of the factory remote start in favor of aftermarket, but am still researching the best options.

Nick

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
380 Posts
We had one installed in my wife's '09 Forester. I have installed more than a dozen over the years but I am glad that I didn't attempt this one myself. They had to add multiple modules.
key replication module
security bypass module
door lock operation module
main module
we went with smart start (you can start/lock/unlock your vehicle from your smart phone) so another module for that!

Ended up costing us just over a grand! (and it took them 4 times to get it right)

It's been working well for just over a year though... It's pretty cool that you can start your vehicle without having to worry about range!

(I have a complete 2-way remote starter system sitting in my garage I am tempted to put into my 2002 forester, but am kind of wondering if I shouldn't go for the smart-start as well...)

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring AT
1,842 Posts
i just installed the OEM subaru one on my 2012 yesterday($300 for the kit then saved money on labor doing it myself) and had subaru program the keys and immobilizer today for $75.

only took me two hours. plug and play and incredibly straight forward instructions. it was just the remote starter box, a small immobilizer box, and a few wire harnesses.
http://imageshack.us/a/img546/1828/oioa.jpg

motor continues running when i open the door to get in.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
12 Posts
i just installed the OEM subaru one on my 2012 yesterday($300 for the kit then saved money on labor doing it myself) and had subaru program the keys and immobilizer today for $75.

only took me two hours. plug and play and incredibly straight forward instructions. it was just the remote starter box, a small immobilizer box, and a few wire harnesses.
http://imageshack.us/a/img546/1828/oioa.jpg

no honk, and motor continues running when i open the door to get in.
How is the range of operation?
The OEM is not two way is it?

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
How is the range of operation?
The OEM is not two way is it?
I heard the OEM IS two way although have no confirmation of that. If in fact the OEM IS two way and has good range I will reconsider it. I would really like the ability to control via smart phone. I live in a condo and my unit is hundreds of feet from my Forester, and the Forester is in an underground concrete parking garage. Not holding much hope for even most "two way's"

Nick

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
35 Posts
reviving this old thread,

Has anybody figure out what the best aftermarket RS system is today? i have on order a 2015 fxt with keyless entry fob, i like the idea of only carrying one fob to unlock/remote start the car, but after reading about the 'open door = engine off' feature, and the relative short range, im thinking there's gotta be a better option out there.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
1,318 Posts
reviving this old thread,

Has anybody figure out what the best aftermarket RS system is today? i have on order a 2015 fxt with keyless entry fob, i like the idea of only carrying one fob to unlock/remote start the car, but after reading about the 'open door = engine off' feature, and the relative short range, im thinking there's gotta be a better option out there.
If the engine does indeed stop when the door is open (there seem to be differing posts above), I don't understand why it's a deal-breaker. If it shuts down, just hop in and restart it, assuming you have the fob with you. The car's not going to get cold in the few seconds it takes to restart. And it could keep someone from stealing your car.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
35 Posts
yeah, its not so bad, it is a minor annoyance (but one that i would have for the duration of ownership). I want to be able to turn the car on, and open the hatch to fill it with groceries without me having to go around the car to turn it on again... yep, minor, but once you've had it its hard to go back.

·
Registered
2015 Forester,Impreza Cvt
9 Posts
Remote start

I have a 2015 Subaru forester already with factory remote and a 2014 Impreza .I also have a brand new oem remote start from a 2014 sub forester a had before. I would like to put the remote from the 2014 forester into the 2014 Impreza the dealer says different part numbers. Does anyone really know if it can be modified to work. thanks 201-615-5080

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5iPremium CVT
61 Posts
Aftemarket

I had a remote start installed on my '14 premium. I ask the dealer what the do and they quoted me an aftermarket for $200. It works great, doesn't required an extra fob, just has a chip in the oem fob, and best yet the engine doesn't cut off when you open the door. The range is pretty good, can't complain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Molsen, do you have any info on what brand/model of aftermarket remote starter the dealer installed? Sounds like an interesting option.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
2 Posts
I have a 2015 XT Premium and love most things about it, great vehicle. The one thing i find unbearable to the point that i want it removed is the OEM remote starter. There is no excuse in 2015 for a piece of technology to be so dumb that i can't tell that the owner is using the key to enter OR the owner is using the remote to unlock the door and get in. I was in complete shock the first time i used it.

I had an old Honda Civic with remote start and when you got in, the car kept running. If you then put the key in the ignition and turned it forward, you could simply drive away.

If, however, you stepped on the brake or tried putting it in gear without putting the key in the ignition, THEN it shut off.

How could anyone want their car to shut off when they enter? Can anyone tell me if the dealer would be able to make any adjustment to this so the car won't shut off when the door is opened? If not, i'm going to ask to have it removed and end up having to buy a real remote starter with some actual smart technology built in.

Thanks for listening to my rant :)

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Lim CVT
283 Posts
I guess I thought it was odd when I got mine that it shut off, but got used to it, and now I don't even notice. I am so impressed by the range of the unit compared to what other cars I have had were able to do, and the fact that it is 2 way, so I know it has been started is very nice, especially for the price. I ride a vanpool and we park our cars in a lot about 1 block off the interstate, and I can start my car from the offramp, while nobody else can start their vehicles until we get just out side the lot. While that only has it on for less than 2 minutes, it tends to shift better, and be ready to just get in and go.

I think this is pretty standard on many vehicles nowadays, as my dad's Avalon does the same thing.

As for if it can be changed, I am pretty sure it cannot, as that is the way it is designed.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT
2 Posts
I guess I thought it was odd when I got mine that it shut off, but got used to it, and now I don't even notice. I am so impressed by the range of the unit compared to what other cars I have had were able to do, and the fact that it is 2 way, so I know it has been started is very nice, especially for the price. I ride a vanpool and we park our cars in a lot about 1 block off the interstate, and I can start my car from the offramp, while nobody else can start their vehicles until we get just out side the lot. While that only has it on for less than 2 minutes, it tends to shift better, and be ready to just get in and go.

I think this is pretty standard on many vehicles nowadays, as my dad's Avalon does the same thing.

As for if it can be changed, I am pretty sure it cannot, as that is the way it is designed.
I agree with what you're saying about the range being good and the two way features. The way it lets you know that the car was started and when it shuts off is pretty cool.

It's just confusing to me why the car would shut off simply by the door opening. Does this mean that an opened door must mean theft?

Maybe it bothers me more than it should. It's not something i ever would have suspected could be possible since i've never seen it happen on any other remote starter.

I'm bringing the XT in tomorrow for the 6k mile service, so i'll ask if there are any settings that can be changed and will report back, but my hopes are not high.

In any case, the vehicle itself is so enjoyable in every other way, I'm sure i can get over it. :wink2:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Lim CVT
283 Posts
When I got mine, it was kind of annoying as well. I honestly don't even notice it anymore, as I got used to it. Once I knew other brands do it as well, it made me accept it a little more, even if I think there are better ways.

The cars I have owned in the past with remote start were GM vehicles, and as long as you put the key in and put it to on, it never missed a beat. The door never came into play, so that is what I was used to.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited CVT
12 Posts
We'll be looking to install a remote start on our 09 Foz before the winter comes. We have an aftermarket system on our 13 Odyssey (CompuStart) and it has a small extra fob, but we can remote start using the OEM fob as well. Once remotely started, the van locks and the OEM fob is rendered useless (though we can use the RS fob), so we have to use the key to unlock a door, but the engine keeps running. Once inside, we put the key in the ignition, turn it, and press the brake to return to "normal" operation.

I'm hoping a decent aftermarket system won't be as expensive as the OEM system, but maybe a DIY install is the answer if it's really mostly plug-and-play.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts