Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of us found out/know, the factory (OEM) remote starter has a huge flaw (they call it a safety feature): The engine turns off if any door is opened. In addition to that, the remote starter for keyless access models has a very limited range (uses the same key fob for both access and remote start) and the unit honks the horn when remote starting.

There has been mention of aftermarket systems such as Viper, Avital, Audiovox etc. etc. that may work with the 2014 + Keyless access. It's non-trivial to get these systems integrated with engine immobilizer and keyless systems. I've read here about hack jobs, having to leave a key fob imbedded in the dash and other nightmarish scenarios.

Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of a way to get a working remote start system that does the following:
1) allow for doors to be opened without the engine shutting down.
2) allows keyless access & engine immobilizer to function normally.
3) allows for a decent range (anything is better than the OEM 40 feet).
4) doesn't void the car warranty.
5) can silently (no honks) start the car.

My old car of 14 years had a remote starter and i'm already feeling withdrawal symptoms. I really don't want to install the OEM version. Engine turns off right when you open the door to drive off? Why? What were they thinking????

Help!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
As many of us found out/know, the factory (OEM) remote starter has a huge flaw (they call it a safety feature): The engine turns off if any door is opened. In addition to that, the remote starter for keyless access models has a very limited range (uses the same key fob for both access and remote start) and the unit honks the horn when remote starting.

There has been mention of aftermarket systems such as Viper, Avital, Audiovox etc. etc. that may work with the 2014 + Keyless access. It's non-trivial to get these systems integrated with engine immobilizer and keyless systems. I've read here about hack jobs, having to leave a key fob imbedded in the dash and other nightmarish scenarios.

Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of a way to get a working remote start system that does the following:
1) allow for doors to be opened without the engine shutting down.
2) allows keyless access & engine immobilizer to function normally.
3) allows for a decent range (anything is better than the OEM 40 feet).
4) doesn't void the car warranty.
5) can silently (no honks) start the car.

My old car of 14 years had a remote starter and i'm already feeling withdrawal symptoms. I really don't want to install the OEM version. Engine turns off right when you open the door to drive off? Why? What were they thinking????

Help!
#1 - can only be done with an aftermarket Remote start unless you disable pin switches for your doors which will cause other features you may like to not work.

#2 - I cant say for sure on the push button start Foresters but, aftermarket systems, compustar as an example, has an immobilizer bypass the does not require you to do a "key in a box". Again not sure how this works with the push button start Foz's but with the traditional keyed models the bypass learns the coding from the key during the setup of the bypass, and when the remoter starter does it's thing the bypass sends the proper info via CAN to allow the car to start.

#3 - Again you can get up to a mile two way range with some of today's aftermarket remote starters.

#4 - In the US at least, NO AFTERMARKET add ons can outright void a vehicles warranty in it's entirety. It's against federal law. A dealer\manufacturer would have to prove that something you had installed directly caused the failure of something you are claiming warranty coverage on. Even if they could prove something you had added caused one item to fail and not be covered it does not effect warranty coverage on other non related items.

#5 - again I'm sure aftermarket remote starts can do this.

You will probably pay a bit more for a good aftermarket remote starter, but a good one is typically much better than a factory remote start in many ways.
Like not shutting down when the doors are opened, Various programmable features like horn honks, the ability to measure internal vehicle temps and activate the heat or AC in response to the temperatures, activate the all weather package to defrost mirrors wiper blade rest area rear defroster etc. Two way fob range up to a mile. With other modules added you can even add the ability to remotely open/close your windows and/or sunroof via fob, you can add a module so you can satellite track your Foz on the internet get geofencing warnings\notifications. Get speed notifications if your kids are out in the Foz driving faster than they should be. Remote start or activate other features from anywhere in the world via your Apple or Android. I am sure there is much more. Sure most are add ons that can make a really expensive system in short order, but at the rate cool stuff is being released in the aftermarket, the only real limit of what may be possible is the size of your wallet.

Nick

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to my local PC Richards (authorized viper installer). The installer/tech said there are no instructions [yet] from Viper for 2014 Foresters with keyless entry/push start. I guess Viper doesn't 'support' my car yet.

Meh.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Love My Factory Remote Start

I really don't see a big deal in the motor shutting down if a door is opened. You still need to insert the key into the ignition and turn to run then tap the break pedal right? It takes what, an extra 2 seconds to restart the motor ? Come on now.. and the range on my 09 is way more them 40 ft id say more like 240 ft.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
179 Posts
I am waiting for a Viper solution. They can currently install a Viper remote start. But, you have to give up one of your smart keys. Distance is my only issue with the OEM remote start. With the OEM remote start it only gives you 75 ft or whatever distance to unlock your car with your smart key. That distance isn't very far. With the ones without the smart key the distance is a lot greater.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I really don't see a big deal in the motor shutting down if a door is opened. You still need to insert the key into the ignition and turn to run then tap the break pedal right? It takes what, an extra 2 seconds to restart the motor ? Come on now.. and the range on my 09 is way more them 40 ft id say more like 240 ft.
Cool, then you can have yours set up that way. ;)

There are a few reasons I prefer MY remote start NOT work that way.

#1 Many aftermarket remote starts support a "Pit Stop" mode where you can leave the vehicle running while running in to the convenience store to get your morning coffee with the car fully secured\locked and alarmed but still running and not shut down nor needed to be re-started. Put it in Park. Activate remote start "Pit stop mode" from aftermarket fob. Remove key. Get out. Lock Doors/activate alarm with fob. Go do your business. Come out. Unlock doors\deactivate alarm with fob. Get in. Put Key back in ignition. Put foot on brake. Drive away. That extra redundant saftey "feature/annoyance" would make a pit stop feature useless.

#2 I have not done any research on starter motor failure or repair costs on Subaru's, but would rather NOT start my forester 14,000 times over a 10 year period when I could only be starting it 7,000 times.

#3 It's ANNOYING! and really is a redundant safety "feature". The combination of other remote start safety features and vehicle features will help prevent your vehicle from being stolen anyhow. A) if you trip the alarm which is on during remote start the car dies (shock sensors, tilt sensors etc.) B) in an Automatic\CVT the shifter is locked and needs the brake pushed to get in gear. C) pushing the brake pedal kills the engine and can also be made to trip the alarm. On a Manual the clutch switch could be incorporated in a similar way to kill the vehicle and trip the alarm. D) Even if the thief can drive it away without touching the brakes or the clutch ever, with most remote start/alarm systems they would also need to drive away with a locked steering wheel, AND on top of that not exceed ~2500-3000 RPM's or the vehicle dies.

That last cherry on top "feature" is actually an annoyance to many because it is completely redundant to the nth degree. To the point that it is an annoyance as opposed to any real value.

Nick

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@warpig - my sentiments exactly!

My old car had a viper security + remote start and quite frankly, i'm unwilling to settle for anything less than what I had/am used to...

When I found out about the door-opening-stops-the-motor 'safety' feature, I was like: "what the what now?"

I thought it was a misprint/joke. I still have trouble figuring out how they think it's a feature, as in - a good thing.

I will wait until I can get a system in that doesn't do that and does have the 'pit stop' mode. I used that all the time....

·
Registered
252 Posts
@warpig - my sentiments exactly!

My old car had a viper security + remote start and quite frankly, i'm unwilling to settle for anything less than what I had/am used to...

When I found out about the door-opening-stops-the-motor 'safety' feature, I was like: "what the what now?"

I thought it was a misprint/joke. I still have trouble figuring out how they think it's a feature, as in - a good thing.

I will wait until I can get a system in that doesn't do that and does have the 'pit stop' mode. I used that all the time....

Yes, I guess we are just spoiled by a "good" system. Sorry, for the few hundred bucks difference I will gladly pay the extra and not deal with things that annoy me for one and enjoy the many many extra real features, like pit stop mode amongst others that the factory system can only dream of.

Nick

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am waiting for a Viper solution. They can currently install a Viper remote start. But, you have to give up one of your smart keys. Distance is my only issue with the OEM remote start. With the OEM remote start it only gives you 75 ft or whatever distance to unlock your car with your smart key. That distance isn't very far. With the ones without the smart key the distance is a lot greater.
You may want to check around. There are solutions that do NOT require you to give up a key and put a key in a box. Anyone who says that is your only route is "full of it". There are bypasses that interface with Viper and Compustar as well as many other systems that can be installed TODAY that learn your key code and retransmit it via CAN bus to the Forester and allow it to start without a key in a box. Also if you do decide to go the key in a box route make sure you cut off the blade of the sacrificed key so only the electronics remain. I wouldn't ever leave a full working key\fob\transducer under the dash ANYWHERE. When your insurance company asks you the question "Was there a key in the vehicle?" when they try to deny your total loss claim it's not going to go well for your claim.

Nick

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I completely agree with you. I know that there are bypasses/modules that should work - just according to my local installer, Viper hasn't certified one with the '14 forester + keyless.

I'm pretty sure that they will eventually get this working, but for now it's not 'officially' supported (supposedly).

·
Registered
252 Posts
I completely agree with you. I know that there are bypasses/modules that should work - just according to my local installer, Viper hasn't certified one with the '14 forester + keyless.

I'm pretty sure that they will eventually get this working, but for now it's not 'officially' supported (supposedly).
Ahh.. Gotcha... I just noticed you have the push button start. Everything I have looked into has been for my Limited with the key. I cant imagine it being too different with the Push button, but I could be wrong. When I asked around about Viper and Compustar here... when Asked the vehicle I had and I mentioned a 14 Forester nobody even came back with the question does it have the prox key? I got the impression it didn't much matter but I didnt probe the issue further because I didn't need to. It would be my guess that most MFG's right now a lack of "certifiaction" probably has more to do with the newness of the 14 model as opposed to the prox key in particular.

Nick

·
Registered
2014 XTP Fancy Rubber Band
1,124 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
1 Posts
I just took delivery of a 2015 2.5i touring and will be having a Viper 4205 installed in a couple weeks. I will post everything I find out here as soon as it's done. Just had one installed on my 2015 CRV EX-L w/Nav and it works fine including the door handle proximity unlock but the same issue with turning off upon opening door - I just have to push the button to restart. Not really a show stopper. I anticipate the same on the Forester but will report shortly.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5 cvt
184 Posts
I just took delivery of a 2015 2.5i touring and will be having a Viper 4205 installed in a couple weeks. I will post everything I find out here as soon as it's done. Just had one installed on my 2015 CRV EX-L w/Nav and it works fine including the door handle proximity unlock but the same issue with turning off upon opening door - I just have to push the button to restart. Not really a show stopper. I anticipate the same on the Forester but will report shortly.
Did you get the Viper remote start installed ? If so, how is it working. I'm trying to find a system that works on my 2016 Forester Touring myself and I'm running into issues with trying to find an aftermarket remote start.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
I just installed a viper 2 way, same problem my car shuts off when I unlock the car.

He told me there is an update to fix this, but I will update you this week.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Touring CVT
125 Posts
I'm having the Viper 4205 installed on my 2016 Touring on Dec 19. I'll report back then on how it works but I am not expecting any issues. The same shop installed the same Viper on my Outback.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts