Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new Forester owner. I bought a 2003 Forester and am aggravated by having only 1 key lock on the whole vehicle. I didn't receive a remote when I bought the car so I assumed there wasn't one. Would my year and model have a keyless entry remote? Where could I find that out about my car? And then where can I get an economical one? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Yes your car will have remote capability, e-bay for a remote, and here for info on your year and model.Subaru Research Site There is also a section on that site that will tell you how to program your remote, if your car did not come with an owners manual.http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#alpine

By the way welcome, glad to have you here, and I hope you enjoy the forum as much as you will your Forester.

PS-If you also only got one key (?), you can get a key cut at most competent locksmiths, if they don't have a Subaru blank some Toyota blanks will work, just try the new key before you leave.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I bought a remote from ebay and am having problems programming it. I've tried a few times following the instructions from the website Subaru Research Site but to no avail. Am I doing something wrong? Am I cycling too fast? Too slow? The horn never honks.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Is it possible that your car has had an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry system installed by a previous owner? In that case you might check under the driver side dash to see if the stock OEM keyless entry module is even there. I suppose it's possible that it has been removed.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,065 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your problems with this. Not getting the honk certainly points to a Forester problem rather than one with the remote, since the remote only gets involved at a later stage in the process.

The key on/off sequence is just between the Off and Accessory positions. You don't have to go all the way On. Make sure that the steering wheel lock isn't interfering with smooth motion.

Silke's suggestion to look for a possible aftermarket system is a good one, but I think you'd find the stock system's module to be on the passenger's side, behind the glove compartment. Here's a picture that illustrates the module and its location. I borrowed it from a great thread at scoobymods by Peaty on how to install a light in the glove compartment (a worthwhile and very inexpensive mod!).

Here's a link to Peaty's entire post, which illustrates how to remove the glove compartment to gain visual access to the area where the module is located. You'll have to join scoobymods (free) in order to view the pictures there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts