Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT (automatic) boo..really wanted manual 😐
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I apologize if this in not the correct place to post my question, but it’s overwhelming trying to figure it out on my first official day on the forum...I’ll learn!

So. My first (long wanted)Subaru Forester. Specs:2015 2.5i model, 47K miles, with remote key (not remote start, just basic doors/hatch/panic) I purchased it from a Subaru mechanic as a rebuild (I know, I know, not the smartest thing) after it was hit in the rear & insurance co totaled it out. Car is good, rebuild good, per other mechanics. I only mention that in case it might have something to do with my posting question & issue of the key controls not working... maybe a safety feature if car determines something major has happened? And I only have the one key. I attempted replacing the battery first, no go. Called local Subaru dealer/service dept & have been told two different things. 1) they can attempt to reprogram it ($80) 2) if it’s not the battery & not working, it’s definitely dead and I need a whole new key. (Explanation is they are same as a tv remote- once they are programmed, they should never need to be again unless they are dead.) Ok. So why then, would there ever be a circumstance in which you would offer & have a customer pay for reprogramming then? (Per the other service guy I spoke to on phone) Makes no sense to me, but I guess I wouldn’t be here asking if I knew all the answers! I did find a post on here regarding reprogramming the remote, but it was on an older model & so wasn’t sure if this is something I should possibly try or if it would even work? I’ve also seen posts about re-soldering loose connections, but not exactly sure what to look for to see if they are loose. I can post photos if needed, I do know how to take it apart 😊 I recently went back to school to get a different degree, so I’m exceptionally poor at the so any thoughts, ideas or feedback appreciated, even if it’s “your screwed, go buy a new key,” lol Thank so much!
Jennifer

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,027 Posts
I'm assuming you have a integrated key fob. Was it working, then just stopped working? :confused:

If the remote battery needs to be replaced, once the battery is replaced do this:
After the battery is replaced, the transmitter must be synchronized with the keyless entry systems control unit. Press either the lock or unlock button six times to synchronize the unit.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts