Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Auto
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I googled for a remote on eBay, and found this example of a new key for $160, plus $90 for programming.

Now - from discussions on this group, plus a couple of experienced locksmiths I approached - say it's impossible to code a remote without going to Subaru, with a cost of AU$550 or so.

I did read about the 'remote programming shuffle' here - turning the ignition, closing the driver's door, doing a little jig - but I failed to get my '08 New Chassis Forester to respond, so assumed that it wasn't possible on my model.

The fact the guy doesn't have a shop and wants to meet somewhere could imply he's low-cost, or could imply he's dodgy - implying either the key will fail (bad), or he does have a genuine dodgy cloning technique which means he can generate a remote at half the cost (well, for me, good!).

Just wondering what anyone else thinks before I spend some time, effort, and cash?

D

·
Registered
2009 Forester Auto
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about Australia, but the remote programming instructions for USDM Subies are freely available on the internets: Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models
Yep, that's the one that unfortunately doesn't work on my car (ie. couldn't get the car to honk). I note it says Keyless Entry, rather than in-key remote (which is what I have).

Code:
Sit in driver's seat and unlock all doors. Open and close the driver's door 
Turn the ignition key from LOCK to ON position 10 times within 15 seconds. Be sure to stop at both lock and on. The horn will HONK once to indicate transmitter programming mode is activated. Leave key in LOCK position and don't remove it from ignition.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
The US instructions won't work for you - the hardware/keys/remotes and procedures to program them vary from country to country.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,318 Posts
Try asking in the Aus/NZ Forum here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts