Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.0X AWP
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took my remote key fob (single button Sigma M30 on 06 UK 2.0NA)
apart since the button felt sticky. I then sprayed the switch/button inside with electrical contacts spray, then let it dry, and put everything back together. Tried it and it was "clicking" cleanly! It worked unlocking and locking the car at the slightest click. I was well happy with it. I took a nap and after 2 hours I decided to wash the car. To my horror the remote wouldn't unlock the car anymore. After several unsuccessful attempts, I dug out the spare and it worked straight away. I swapped batteries but the one I "cleaned" just didnt work anymore. Have I broken it completely? I checked all solder points are ok and it has a new Panasonic battery. I tried re-programming it to the car but when I got to the stage when you press the fob button, it didn't make a beep orthe LED didn't flash at all.
Whew! Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Marc

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,984 Posts
Will give you a clue when you've sorted this :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/sf-org-stickers-69577/index6.html#post789662

Mdg is getting a N/A complex !!!

When you say you tried re-programming the key was it just that key or both?

Programming Remote Keys to the System:

Remote keys can be added or removed to/from the system following the sequence below:
i) Type in to the keypad **
ii) Type in to the keypad the “existing PIN code” then *
iii) Type in to the keypad 91 * “ the number of keys to be used” #
iv) Press the first remote key button until bleep sounds, release and press next key. Continue until all keys have been taught to the system. Note the maximum number of keys is 4 and all keys required to operate the system must be taught during this operation - any key not included will no longer operate the system.
If you are, then I suspect something else amiss. May be worth using another brand of battery (has been known to cause a problem in the past).

From Sigma Sam
"The existing Sigma transmitter (SACC 3507) that fits into the ignition key, however, will only operate the Sigma M30 system - used on the 99-07MY UK vehicles"
Not sure how much a dealer would charge.

2nd Hand keys are available. All you would need to do is swap the pcb into your own key so that transponder coding was not necessary and then reprogram to the alarm.

4 example................

Subaru Impreza Legacy 1 Button Remote Key Fob SACC 3507 on eBay (end time 07-Apr-10 13:17:52 BST)
SUBARU IMPREZA FORESTER ETC REMOTE ALARM KEY FOB 1 BUTT on eBay (end time 06-Apr-10 09:58:52 BST)

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Today I took my remote key fob (single button Sigma M30 on 06 UK 2.0NA) apart since the button felt sticky. I then sprayed the switch/button inside with electrical contacts spray, then let it dry, and put everything back together.
I haven't taken mine apart so I don't know what sort of switch is used, but it's probably either a collapsible metal dome or conductive rubber.

Either way I don't think switch cleaner would help and it may have left a conductive residue on the pcb which could cause a few problems.

Much safer to use isopropyl alcohol which is safe on plastic and evaporates completely.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,598 Posts
I haven't taken mine apart so I don't know what sort of switch is used, but it's probably either a collapsible metal dome or conductive rubber.

Either way I don't think switch cleaner would help and it may have left a conductive residue on the pcb which could cause a few problems.

Much safer to use isopropyl alcohol which is safe on plastic and evaporates completely.
Where can you get hold of isopropyl alcohol (or any pure white alcohol) in UK?
The reason you can't find it in pharmacies is that some would buy to drink it, lol!

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,984 Posts
Where can you get hold of isopropyl alcohol (or any pure white alcohol) in UK?
The reason you can't find it in pharmacies is that some would buy to drink it, lol!
Always get mine from the chemist, getting expensive now though. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.0X AWP
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input...and I have sorted that other thing:)

The key fob works again, though I have to press on the button really hard. You guys may be right, I may have left some sticky residue in the click-switch but it's too small and I don't want to take it apart as I dont have experience with PCBs. The electrical contact spray is IPA(it says on the can) but in aerosol/propelled form.
Anyway, I'm stillgoing to heed Don's advice of getting a spare key and swapping the PCB into my key then programming all keys to the alarm system.
Thank you for the help!

Trakito1

·
Registered
2014 Audi S4 Black Ed Semi auto
439 Posts
I think I have a spare one with a broken case, The circuit board should be fine though, if you are stuck.

I just replaced it with a brand new one when I got the forester as one of my Friends owned a car security place at the time.

Don't forget all UK Impreza's had them, as did BMW's. So cheap working spares can be found at the breakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts