Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

This is my first post, have recently become a forester owner. Wanted to know if anyone can help or has a similar prob. When unlocking car with remote only driver door unlocks (I presume incase I get kidnapped)if you press the button again it unlocks the other doors. However if you don't get this timing between the 2 presses exactly right the car just locks again. Its damn maddening. So read the handbook and it states that this function can be changed by the dealer. So went back to dealer and they can't change it they say there are no codes to change it for the new forester, can this be right? can anyone advise me.
Thanks.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Dizzzy,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you elaborate a bit more on which year and version of Forester you are referring to.
Sounds as if its a MY08 onwards.

Don

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
can anyone advise me.
Thanks.
Sure.. I advise you to learn to press the unlock button twice within 3 secs to unlock all the doors.. lol Thats the way it is and there aint no other way around it. :cool:

Welcome to the group !

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
Sure.. I advise you to learn to press the unlock button twice within 3 secs to unlock all the doors.. lol Thats the way it is and there aint no other way around it.
Experience based on USDM remotes isn't necessarily applicable in other national markets. Remotes are among the most common differences, due to differences in local regularions pertaining to use of the radio spectrum.

I think we had better leave this one to the Brits to answer.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Hi Don

The vehicle is new on a 59 plate two weeks old 2.0d xc boxer diesel.

Thanks
Hopefully "R5oss" or "dpm" will be along soon as I know they run the latest mark.

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
If it's a Sigma security system this behaviour might be programmable using the keypad under the dashboard.

Have you had a look in the security system manual?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Mike D

You are right, thanks. I actually spoke to the dealers again and Subaru UK confirmed that the alarm/c locking remote etc is fitted by Sigma in the uk when the vehicles come over. So the handbook doesn't tell you that (great). Anyway they have the car in today to sort it, so good result.

"Thats the way it is and there aint no other way around it. " TC2000 your'e so wrong!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
On a partially unrelated note... Why do UK vehicles have a different alarm/lock system? It almost seems required?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Because to gain the insurance discount it needs to achieve the accredited 'Thatcham' test standards, the Sigma alarm/immobiliser as used on older Scoobs was also fitted to all BMW's and Porche's of the same era (amongst other makes).

Simon

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
And different rules regarding use of the radio spectrum

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Let us know how it works out .. :cool:

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Hi Mike D

You are right, thanks. I actually spoke to the dealers again and Subaru UK confirmed that the alarm/c locking remote etc is fitted by Sigma in the uk when the vehicles come over. So the handbook doesn't tell you that (great). Anyway they have the car in today to sort it, so good result.

"Thats the way it is and there aint no other way around it. " TC2000 your'e so wrong!
It's not in the vehicle handbook but you should have a separate book that describes how to reprogram the security system features.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your help, the remote key function has been reprogrammed and does exactly what I wanted it to do now. Not an easy job to gain access to the control box, took the Subaru tech guys a couple of hours!! anyway problem resolved, now I love my new purchase even more!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts