Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 Premium Crappy 4EAT
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking to get a remote starter for the wife for Christmas. Had a quick quote from the dealer for about $460. This number I think is pure crap, however, I have not been able to find the cost of the factory remote starter.

I have not started to price aftermarket starters yet, that is for tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Oh, this is for the 2009 4EAT

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Go visit your local car stereo shop. Avoid the big box stores. Pay a little extra for a high end shop to do the work. It will still be cheaper than the dealer. I do not know if Suby had a "factory" remote start to install or if they would still just use an aftermarket. I'm sure there's a few guys on here that will know. If there is, its probably a plug and play; as long as you know where the "plug" is.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
There is an OEM remote engine start system for the car, but the install instructions are cryptic..... and I remember reading somewhere on this forum that the dealer has to activate it or something like that.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few options

The price I gave was the installed dealer price.

I just checked Autozone and Advance auto parts and they both show starters from $60 to $150. Guess I will check some installer prices tomorrow.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
My friend got the OEM remote start installed on his 06 forester at the local dealership. Not nearly that expensive, but he had it in for other work too. Its a pretty decent remote starter, looks and works like it came stock and has excellent range. However for about the same cost you could get a much fancier aftermarket one with more features.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
The price I gave was the installed dealer price.

I just checked Autozone and Advance auto parts and they both show starters from $60 to $150. Guess I will check some installer prices tomorrow.
The one my Forester has cost dealer $700.00 to have it installed on my Forester. The unit costs around $350.00, plus labor.

Yes, you may be able to get a cheapo installed by a shop. I would not do that, however.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Hey all,

Looking to get a remote starter for the wife for Christmas. Had a quick quote from the dealer for about $460. This number I think is pure crap, however, I have not been able to find the cost of the factory remote starter.

Any thoughts?

Just find a well known and reliable electronics shop in town, and let them install the starter for you. Once they install it, they give you a warranty, as well as becoming liable for any trouble caused by the installation.

It will save you a lot of time and hassle, plus allow you to pick the right remote. Not all starters and remotes are the same, since some offer quite a lot of features. For example, mine tells me when the motor starts and is running, and also when it stops running. There are a bunch of other features, too long to mention.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
3 Posts
Ray, does your remote starter have an interlock such that the remote starter won't turn over the engine if the car is not in neutral?

Chuck in Tucson

·
Registered
516 Posts
The beginning of the cold weather has me thinking about this as well. My regular mechanic (for our other cars) installed one for us a couple of years ago into my wife's '04 Mazda Tribute. Total cost was $250 if I recall correctly.

Is there anything particularly unusual about my 2006 LL Bean Forester that would prevent it from being just as easy and inexpensive an install? I know with the Tribute he had to have another programmed key to bury somewhere in the firewall to complete the installation. Would that be the same for the Forester?

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
The beginning of the cold weather has me thinking about this as well. My regular mechanic (for our other cars) installed one for us a couple of years ago into my wife's '04 Mazda Tribute. Total cost was $250 if I recall correctly.

Is there anything particularly unusual about my 2006 LL Bean Forester that would prevent it from being just as easy and inexpensive an install? I know with the Tribute he had to have another programmed key to bury somewhere in the firewall to complete the installation. Would that be the same for the Forester?
The technician who installed the starter used the chip provided in the valet key. I received three keys from the dealer, including the valet one. I still can use this key to open the door manually, or to start the car. Installing a starter is not an easy task. For example a hole is drilled somewhere on the frame somewhere below the front edge of the hood, and a "kill" switch installed there. The electric leads to this switch are routed in the engine compartment (wrapped in a wire loom), to the remote starter unit. This unit plus its remote control the same components as the car's remote to open/close doors, panic button, etc. Also, it uses the following circuits for it to work:
-Brake pedal
-Parking brake
-Lights circuit
-Door locking/unlocking circuits

There may be more I don't know, however.
----------------
I don't know if the car can be remotely started with the transmission in gear. I will have to check mine and see if it does.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well, I got a couple of prices. The dealership where I bought the Forester and bring it for service quoted me $399 for a Prest!ge* remote starter, installed.

Local Car stereo/alarm/electronics place (which looked busy and quite professional) quoted me $275 for a Viper installed...I forget which model, but it included 2 four channel remotes with lock/unlock, etc. so I wouldn't have to keep my factory fobs. If I wanted to keep my existing fob and just get an additional remote for the starter, it would be $199, but why would I want to do that?

* I don't know why ther forum won't let me type the name Pre$tige.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
Too bad you aren't closer. My buddy is a professional installer. Has installed starters in all of our cars, family, friends cars, etc. Top notch work with quality components (usually Viper). Basic starter/door locker installed is $300.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just got another quote from a guy on Craigslist (just for comparison). He would install a Pre$tige system with keyless entry, flashing parking lights, 1/4 mile range, lifetime warranty, etc.. for $199 installed.

Problem is, he's about an hour away. He could do the install on location where I work, but I'm leaning toward the local shop if only because if there are ever any problems, it's really convenient. I'm going to see if I can get some kind of deal if I also have him put one in my daughter's Hyundai Tucson. Either way, the convenience and feeling good about going to a shop where auto electronics is all they do may be worth the extra $$.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Oh, I just thought of something else.

How can I know for sure if my keys have a chip in them? It's a '06 LL Bean Forester. I got three keys when I bought the car. The main key has a black plastic head on it, but the other main one is just plain steel and the valet key is also just plain steel. I would think that since only one key has the plastic head on it that the keys do NOT have the chip. Otherwise, I'd have received more than one like that, no? The remote looks like this:

Thanks.
________

Wait a second. I think I just found my answer in the owners manual. Or does the immobilizer have nothing to do with the "chip"? I'm so confused...

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
11 Posts
Hey all,

Any thoughts?

SubaruParts.com - Your #1 Source for OEM Parts and Accessories
H001SSC000 Remote Eng Starter List $349.99 Sale $333.36

Dealer price doesnt seem out of line.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm, bit of a late date for the update, but anyway. Stopped by the local car / home stereo shop and they quoted me $275 for a basic Excalibur model installed. Of course, now I am trying to search the web for any information on the Excalibur Remote Car Starters and I am finding nothing!

1 - 20 of 131 Posts