Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 forester 2.5X MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am getting frustrated. My keyless remotes started showing signs of tired batteries (as they should, after 4 years) so I got some new batteries- high quality, correct number, etc. When I replaced the batteries, the remotes wouldn't work. So- checked the manual, which basically sez you have to "synchronize" with the control unit by pressing either the lock or the unlock button 6 times. No problem, I can do that! Didn't work. I have tried various combos of engine off, engine on, inside the car, outside the car, but nothing seems to make it work. I don't want to reprogram, since I use two remotes and the other one works fine. If I put the old battery back in, works fine. I have been thru this exchange several times, to no avail. Anybody know what I need to do?? The batteries check out fine with a VOM, and some of the same batch work fine in my wife's Honda remote, which I replaced at the same time.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,083 Posts
Very weird. You are absolutely super sure it's the right battery? There are a few of identical diameter but different thickness.

Does the red light on the remote light up? (If there is one. I'm not sure about that model.)

Reprogramming wouldn't accomplish anything. The result of programming is to register the ID of the remote in the Forester, and you've already proven that this is set up properly.

Your profile shows that you have a 2006, but it doesn't say which model. XTs have an immobilizer which is a bit different from the NA models, but the description at cars101 doesn't say anything about the "6 lock or unlock" thing for either type.

(Help us help you by filling out the vital details of your Forester in your signature. Year, model, transmission type ought to do it just fine. That way we can fine tune any advice on questions you might have in the future.)

·
Registered
2006 forester 2.5X MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more info

More details (I am not sure how to add them to my profile, or I'd be doing that)
The car is a 2.5X premium, with a manual tranny. The instructions for synchronizing a new battery are from the owner's manual, and yes, the battery is correct- same as the one removed, same as the number spec'd on the remote, etc. The only possible thing I can think of is this: the battery is nominally a 3V- the old one measures 2.4V, the new one 3.6V, but that shouldn't prevent it from synchronizing. Hope somebody has an answer, having had the same problem...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts