Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Winter is coming and it is getting cold out.

Get your stuff ready and/or get your car ready, too.

I knew my car wasn't quite riding up to snuff since I got it back from being fixed and I figured it was the tire pressure. I had just been lazy:biggrin: Sure enough...I checked my tire pressure this morning at it showed that they put the tire pressure at 32-33psi for all 4 (not leakage but reset by the techs at the shop). I went down to the gas station and put them all at 39. Ride feels much better.:biggrin:

Also, might want to think about these other things:

• Engine oil
  • In-cabin air filter (clean or replace)
  • Intake filter (cleaning or replacing)
  • Power steering fluid
  • Brake fluid
  • Tranny/diff fluid
  • Winter tires/wheels
  • Wiper fluid (antifreeze)
  • Wiper blades
  • Light bulbs
  • Battery
  • Install roof rack crossbars (and basket or ski rack if you have them or need them)

·
2008 SG Model D
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also, so road hazard/survival stuff, too.

• Jacket/coat(s)
  • Blanket(s)
  • Jumper cables
  • Quick fix tire kit
  • Oil
  • Water
  • Flashlight
  • Food
  • Flare(s) and/or road reflective orange/red triangle
  • Tool kit
  • Shovel
Feel free to add more to this list...

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
Good reminder, I went and checked the tire pressure on our cars this past weekend and they were all lower than I usually keep them. We've been seeing colder weather here lately so it's what I expected but still always good to see where you are pressure wise.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
I was reminded of winter when the TPMS lights in both my 09OBXT and my wifes 09Impreza lit up.

I need to re-outfit our cars for the winter. Thanks Will!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
144 Posts
First Winter Prep...

Winter Prep:

I spent my ride home from work last night training my right index finger to find the seat warmer knob without looking.

Today, I'm going to memorize those tiny, cryptic little pictographs on the vent control knob so I can get heat to the feet when I need it.

Added a "Beach Boys" folder to the MP3 list.

All set.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Winter in socal = normal day in the Bay Area. LOL. Too bad I don't think I'll be going snowboarding again for a few years :\

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I got my winter wheels out, checked the tires for damage and inflated them to where I want to run them. I also put the "winter" bags into each of our Foresters. They consist of blackets, jackets, shovel and other warm/snow gear to suppliment the normal hazzard gear we carry.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We actually got our first snowfall here in Ma. last night! Nothing major, but it was snowing. It's pretty rare for it to snow THIS early. They're predicting a rough winter for New England...I was planning on putting my winter wheels and tires on around December or the earliest late November. It looks like we might get winter early this time.

Still too early to tell, they're predicting the temps to be in the mid to high 60's in the next few days. who knows.

·
Registered
2004 X AWP
75 Posts
Reading these posts makes me wish we had a decent winter in the UK, rather than the few days of wet snow/horrid slush that we get. Would be nice to get a proper winter.... now when i was a lad........:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf R (AWD!) DSG (Automated Manual)
2,199 Posts
Good thread Will. It was 34 this morning, not great for my RE01-Rs. My A/S tires should be arriving today or tomorrow!

Another note: what about your battery? Can AdvanceAuto (or another chain retailer) check your battery and let you know if it's on the verge of dying? I know mine was a little slower to crank over the whole summer, I'm pretty sure a good cold morning and it might just fail me (still on the original battery). I've been meaning to go by there just to have it checked.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Remember to check pressure in your spare as well. I do this at least twice a year, when I swap to snows and back.
Hehe, I have to deflate my Grabber almost flat to get it to fit. :biggrin:

But yeah, check the pressure. I do a 5 tire rotation as well to keep them all the same tread depth.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium
164 Posts
Wait? Do you guys all have the same tire pressure all the way around? I heard people talked about giving the front tires 2psi more over than the rear and that create a 50/50 balance? Is that True or False?

I usually have mine set at 36F and 34R all year long.

·
2008 SG Model D
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, my tires weren't feeling right. Checked my winter tire pressure this morning and it was low (forgot to check it when I swapped on the wheels:icon_redface:). Filled them up to 40psi each...much better. Although, I pinched a nerve in my back bending over to do it in the 20 degree temp this AM. :(

CHECK YOUR PRESSURE PEOPLE!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts