2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Car Talk for reposting this.

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,781 Posts
I was fan and customer for many years. They helped me get into modding on a budget. Feel bad I forgot about them.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,036 Posts
Wow! When I was a kid growing up in Long Island, one of my friends had one of those barefoot gas pedals in his souped up 57 Chevy. We all had their catalogs and at lest something of theirs in our cars. Cool memories!

When I moved to Chicago in the early 1980s, I was headed over to Chinatown for the first time.
Suddenly I saw the JC Whitney/Warshawsky building sitting there. Heh! Heh! It was almost like a religious experience.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did once wonder whether there was a real 'J. C. Whitney', or whether Warshawsky had just adopted it as an 'American sounding name', as was so common back then—especially in the entertainment industry. I think they did business under both names for a while, and I can recall one debate as to which of these 'independent' suppliers was the better of the two.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
219 Posts
What a blast from the past. I had a VW Beetle whose mileage could have been in the high 90 mpg range, if I'd only installed all of the J.C. Whitney gas saving add-ons. I opted instead for a new-fangled electric blower for my beloved bug's "heating" system.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have expected to see gas coming back out of the tank from all those add-ons!

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
222 Posts
i bought a lot of stuff from there. the most memorable thing was the adapter funnel to put leaded gas in an unleaded car. i used the order form in the magazine and paid with a money order. most of the stuff was good. the carpet did'nt fit that good and the plastic dash covers the color that was supposed to match perfectly was'nt even close.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts