2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Car Talk for reposting this.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,233 Posts
I was fan and customer for many years. They helped me get into modding on a budget. Feel bad I forgot about them.

Reactions: bbottomley

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,181 Posts
Wow! When I was a kid growing up in Long Island, one of my friends had one of those barefoot gas pedals in his souped up 57 Chevy. We all had their catalogs and at lest something of theirs in our cars. Cool memories!

When I moved to Chicago in the early 1980s, I was headed over to Chinatown for the first time.
Suddenly I saw the JC Whitney/Warshawsky building sitting there. Heh! Heh! It was almost like a religious experience.

Mike

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did once wonder whether there was a real 'J. C. Whitney', or whether Warshawsky had just adopted it as an 'American sounding name', as was so common back then—especially in the entertainment industry. I think they did business under both names for a while, and I can recall one debate as to which of these 'independent' suppliers was the better of the two.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
622 Posts
What a blast from the past. I had a VW Beetle whose mileage could have been in the high 90 mpg range, if I'd only installed all of the J.C. Whitney gas saving add-ons. I opted instead for a new-fangled electric blower for my beloved bug's "heating" system.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have expected to see gas coming back out of the tank from all those add-ons!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,889 Posts
I bought and installed seat belts from them for a '57 Chevy and '63 beetle

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
233 Posts
i bought a lot of stuff from there. the most memorable thing was the adapter funnel to put leaded gas in an unleaded car. i used the order form in the magazine and paid with a money order. most of the stuff was good. the carpet did'nt fit that good and the plastic dash covers the color that was supposed to match perfectly was'nt even close.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
163 Posts
And then there was Warshawsky, too. Their catalog was almost identical, but the prices were slightly higher. JCW and Warshawsky were the same company, under the same roof. Warshawsky had a store on the corner of State St and Archer Ave in Chicago. One of them (can't remember which now) used an Archer Ave address and the other used a State St address. Same storefront. But it only said Warshawsky on the building. I had gone to the store several times back in the 60's. Long counter with multiple reps & registers. Warshawsky was on the left and JCW was on the right. Loved that place!

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5 Limited CVT
100 Posts
Ah, yes...
"No cutting or drilling necessary ".
You might, however, have to weld...

·
Registered
179 Posts
JC Whitney kept my '69 bug alive for many years including fiberglass floor pans & battery under tray when the metal had rotted out. I also still have (on a shelf) a Radio Shack FM converter for the radio in the bug.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
163 Posts
I did once wonder whether there was a real 'J. C. Whitney', or whether Warshawsky had just adopted it as an 'American sounding name', as was so common back then—especially in the entertainment industry. I think they did business under both names for a while, and I can recall one debate as to which of these 'independent' suppliers was the better of the two.
They were both in the same building, located on the corner of Archer Ave and State St. One of them used an Archer Ave address, and the other use a State St. address. The only entrance was on State St. Walking in, there was a long counter across the back with about 10 order/cash register stations. The one single JC Whitney station was in the corner. All the rest were Warshawsky. I don't know if you ever noticed, but the same item was almost always a little cheaper in the JCW catalog than it was in the Warshawsky catalog. I shopped there often back in the day.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
219 Posts
As others have said, it kept my 68' and 72' Bug alive and sat beside my Radio Shack and Allied Radio catalogs. Long before the internet.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium
7 Posts
Can't believe no one has brought up all the stuff that would add 10% more horse power to your engine.
My '73 Vega had to be putting out 300 hp with all the stuff I ordered from JC Whitney.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i CVT
63 Posts
I bought a vinyl top from them in the '60s for my Jeep. I had to modify the crap out of it to make it fit but it sure was inexpensive compared to buying a replacement from the Jeep dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts