Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am assuming I need to replace a relay given the symptoms. I'm not too familiar with what relays exist for the headlights/turn signals so wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

When I turn on my headlights I hear a click coming from under the dash on the passengers side & the headlights will come on. When I signal to make a turn (right or left) after it returns upon completing a turn (also if I move the selector to turn blinker off manually) I again hear a click from under the passengers side dash and my headlights will turn off for up to a full second. Also if the headlights are on & I turn the switch forward it will click & the headlights will go off for a second.

Wondering if anyone has had this experience before? Should I chang the blinker/turn signal relay or is there a headlight relay that could be replaced? I've not dug under that side of the dash, what needs to be removed in order to access the relays?

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,065 Posts
This sounds more like a mechanical problem in the switch, as that's about the only place that the turn signal circuitry and the headlight circuitry come together.

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bbottomley,

I was thinking that was a possibility as well. However the click from under the dash is very pronounced & I had not noticed it prior to this change in behavior. I was thinking that signaled a relay.

One other point to make is that moving the headlight switch forward will only cause the lights to go out for a second, one time. Repeating the action will not cause them to go out again. I think if there were a short it should be repeatable.

Any suggestions on how I can rule either the relays or the switch out as a culprit?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,065 Posts
Tell us what year/model Forester you have. The recommended way to do this is to put the info into your signature, so it's automatically there every time you post. There could be differences among different models that would be relevant.

What I would probably tend to do for starters would be to pull the switch out as far as possible while keeping it plugged in, put it through its paces, and look for any sort of irregularity in its action, especially anything that might relate to the occurrence of the headlight situation.

·
Registered
2017 Canadian Touring CVT
19 Posts
I'm still in the middle of doing my forum search but I am having the exact same issue.

I have a 2003 Forester XS. In the past I used to hear a clicky relay-type noise when I would turn my headlights on. Lately however it has been making this noise when I do other things with the signal-indicator-lever. If I turn on a signal it may do it, if I pinch or wiggle the lever it may do it.

Sometimes the headlights will blink / go out briely like m82a1 mentions.

It sounds like it is the indicator. I guess I'll have to go over there and see if I can remove that lever. Haven't looked at it yet. I hope a replacement isn't expensive if it turns out to be a problem.

Anyone have any troubleshooting help or suggestion(s)?

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts