Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having my manual transmission rebuilt and the mechanic said there was a problem with the reduction gears not meshing and the might be cracked or broken.What do the reduction gears do and where are they located?The gears are pretty expensive $400.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I suspect your mechanic is talking about the "transfer gears" {1:1 reduction; items 7 (xfer driven gear) and 9 (xfer drive gear) in the drawing} in the back of the MT. Assuming I've got this right, this gear set routes torque from the center diff via the prop shaft to the rear diff to drive the rear wheels.

If nothing else, you can print a copy of the drawing and have your mechanic show you what he's taking about.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Doesn't make sense. They can't "not mesh" if they are the right gears, and there is no such thing as "might be cracked or broken". It's either broken or not broken.

Ask for more detail.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Auto4
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

The mechanic replaced the reduction gears and this did not solve the problem.So they took them out and had break apart the transmission to inspect it and found a pinion gear bearing had split and caused damage to the gears.What are pinion gears and what do they do? So far I have put $2200 into this rebuild.Is this a good price for a rebuild They have replaced three bearings in the rear of trans. and now these pinion gears?

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Sounds like the mechanic is not that familiar with Subaru.

Since it's a transaxle it also contains the front differential. I believe #18 on the diagram points to the backside of the ring gear (that would mesh with the pinion gear). You can see a cross-section of the pinion gear to the left of the end of the line from #17. (Keep in mind I'm not a Subaru expert either. I have rebuilt a RWD Mazda manual transmission and replaced some synchros in a Toyota FWD transaxle, though).

I think another complete transaxle from Subaru is about $3600.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts