Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andrew at www.andrewtechautomotive.com recommended me to try Redline 75W90 Lightweight Shockproof to see if the problem I have with 4th gear synchro goes away, so hence my questions are:

1. Where to get if from? I already called a couple of performance shops around and they don't carry them. I know I'll find it eventually, it's not a big of a deal, but I thought I might still ask in case you guys know a good place.

2. Second and more important question is: have anybody ever tried Redline 75W90 Lightweight Shockproof in their 5MT? What was your impression?

Thanks.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind the 1st question, I saw this in another post:
sirwilliam said:
Redline Lightweight shockproof gear oil...it's the "Smurf blue" stuff.
You can order it from www.ogracing.com if you can't find it anywhere else.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
I used super light, light and HD in a subaru tranny in 2 different cars. My Imp and now my XT. It helped with my clashing issues a lot. The only time it grinds now is when it's my fault :) I have some info on Scoobymods too (somewhere) Right now I'm running the light weight. (blue stuff)

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Frank, I called them and they don't have it.
I found a really good place though, thanks to one guy at BaltimoreTurbo.com - it's called ASAP. This is the website: http://www.synlubes.com They said they always carry Redline products along with many other brands, so looks like I'll be stopping by that place again.

Yesterday I filled my tranny with 3.7qt of this stuff (Redline Lightweight Shockproof) and the magic happened - no more grinding and the synchros are happy. :D

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Aleksey said:
Yes, Frank, I called them and they don't have it.
I found a really good place though, thanks to one guy at BaltimoreTurbo.com - it's called ASAP. This is the website: http://www.synlubes.com They said they always carry Redline products along with many other brands, so looks like I'll be stopping by that place again.

Yesterday I filled my tranny with 3.7qt of this stuff (Redline Lightweight Shockproof) and the magic happened - no more grinding and the synchros are happy. :D
I am glad it fixed your problem.

I believe andrew at andrewtech recommends mixing it w/ .5-1 quart of reg syn gear oil. I will double check the amount. This is what I will do next when changing my gear oil. Right now I am running straight lightweight shockproof.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sirwilliam said:
I believe andrew at andrewtech recommends mixing it w/ .5-1 quart of reg syn gear oil. I will double check the amount. This is what I will do next when changing my gear oil. Right now I am running straight lightweight shockproof.
Let me know then. When we spoke he only mentioned Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Anyway, it worked :)

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
got this off the Toronto Subaru club thanks to WRC Pocon

The transmission/rear differential oil combo recommended by most TSC members, including this friendly lad:

Give my mixture a shot.... I think you will be pleased:

Tranny:
1 Bottle Shockproof Lightweight
3 Bottles RedLine 75W90

Rear Diff:
1 Bottle Shockproof Heavyweight

Works good in both cold and hot.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a side note: I had a nasty rear diff whine at ~60mph at light or no acceleration - well known problem described and discussed many times on this an other boards. About 6 months ago whan I was changing oil at a local Valvoline shop I also changed my rear diff oil with the standard recommended oil. Soon I noticed that the whine was gradually disappearing until in a month or two ot completelly gone.
So, the bottom line is: Maintain your front/rear differential and transmission fluids as religiously as you mantaining your engine oil. Know when it's time to change them and do change. Researching about the best fluids for your car helps a lot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Since my 04 XT is mostly stock, would there be any point in switching from the factory stock transmission lube to Redline Shockproof instead of Redline's "regular" 75W-90 lube?

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Retserof said:
Since my 04 XT is mostly stock, would there be any point in switching from the factory stock transmission lube to Redline Shockproof instead of Redline's "regular" 75W-90 lube?
less stress on the driveline and easier shifters

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
I've been quite pleased with the swtich to Castrol Syntec 75w90 for both F & R diffs. :)

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
MountainBiker said:
NS is a waste in Forester differentials. This stuff is for clutch type LSDs
Isn't it the other way around ?

75W90NS - "This GL-5-type geal oil doesn't contain the friction modifiers for limited-slip hypoid differentials."
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=82&prodID=60&subcatID=20

"75W90 is preferred for most racing applications. It contains friction modifier which is recommended for limited-slip units."
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?pvID=81&prodID=60&subcatID=20

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
The LSD unit is sealed so whatever you put in there won't get to the LSD anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Yep, looks like I got it backwards, but Peaty said it right. Point is, buy the best lube for the differential gears itself, 'cuz the oil will have no effect on the LSD.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Interesting recommendation by Cobb regarding Redline's MT-90. I use MT-90 in my 94 RX7, but when I called Redline yesterday and asked what they recommended for my 04 XT, they said that MT-90 was not recommended -- it is not a GL-5 lube. They said to use 75W90NS for the transmission and 75W90 for the rear differential.

Here are Cobb's comments on these 3 lubes:

MT-90 Great balance of friction and lubrication. This is a good choice for a street/auto-x car. Highly Recommended.​

75W90 A GL-5+ grade oil which has a friction modifier and is more suited for a mechanical limited rear end instead of the transmission. If you want friction in the transmission, use the MT-90.​

75W90NS Another GL-5+ oil which offers good lubrication and bearing life. Best for the rear diff but can be used in the transmission.​

I guess everyone has an opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts