Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 S Turbo
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, me again. Raining today (well, it is Ireland...), and no matter where I put the slider for the air (from outside, or recycled from inside the car) all the windows are fogging up. A/C isn't on. This problem is exactly what used to happen in my Celica (traded it in for the Forester!) if I pressed the recycled air button when behind a smelly truck, and then forgot to switch it off again afterwards, except it's like the recycled air setting is stuck on all the time now. Have to keep opening the windows! Is this a common problem?

ian0

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I had a huge problem with the windows being foged up, had it for a year with NO idea what or why this was happening.. I tried AC on, didn't do anything, then I just switched it to the outside air w/out the ac on and I have no problems with the fogging issue anymore

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
The defroster won't work very well when the recycled setting is on.

The fastest way to defrost the windows, in my experience, is to have the temp gauge on full heat, with the AC on, and the air coming from the outside. (and of course, turn on the front defroster)

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Clogged cabin filter maybe? Defrost in mine works immediately with the A/C on in the warm position. If it still fogs I would suspect the A/C cannister or a clogged A/C drain.

·
Registered
2005 forester sti 6MT
371 Posts
This can happen when leaf or other debris blocks the channels either side of the windscreen - worth checking -

Paul W

·
Registered
1999 S Turbo
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More fog...

Back again, for another try (it was ok during the summer!). If I use A/C, the problem goes away, but fuel consumption is bad enough as it is... It feels like the exterior/recycle slider doesn't work at all, to be honest. It just slides from side to side with no resistance. Should there be a point at which it clicks from one mode to the other? I think it's stuck on recycled air no matter where I put it. However, I don't want to have to take the dash out to find out! Any ideas? I might try getting Rain X anti fog, but I'd rather solve the problem.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
My experience of this, as my mercedes does this alot, is a wet air filter or water/moisture in the system. Get the hair dryer out and give the system a good blast if its okay for a few days and then starts again, then its moisture in the system. failing that I aint got a clue.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
My 99 Foz has no detents on the recirc air slider either and it moves fairly easily, it demists (which I aasume your saying yours doesn't, everyone else seems to have latched onto de-frost which usually relates to the outside of the screen) very well, A/C on dehumidifies the air so its better still, it may be worth checking the A/C condensation drain tubes aren't blocked, otherwise it does sound like recirc is stuck on...however I have noticed that my fox mists up the side windows worse than some other cars I have had, although the screen stays clear, knocking the rear side windows down 1/2" to get the humid air out seems to help a lot!

Simon

·
Registered
1999 S Turbo
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe it's normal, then, as I find I can always keep the screen and front side windows clear, A/C or no A/C, it's the other ones that fog up, and passengers complain that they can't see out.

"knocking the rear side windows down 1/2" to get the humid air out seems to help a lot!" Ha! That's exactly what I do! I'm not allowed to when my 6 month old is in his carseat though, as he gets cold, poor child!

The rally boys in the WRC seem to have little strips with holes in them that they put in the gap, and then they close the window up again (that's what it looks like to me, anyway!). I will try some Rain x anti-fog for a laugh, maybe Fozzies are just steamier than other cars (oo-er matron etc...). Good to know the recycle slider is supposed to be free-moving though, mine must be ok.

·
Registered
1999 S Turbo
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts