Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have Forester 2020 Base Model.
Currently I have but I dont know exactly the offset, center bore, but I found this link from internet.
Tires: 225/60 R17 All Season
Wheels: 17" x 7" steel with wheel cover

Subaru Forester Wheel Size 2020 2019
Forester Bolt Pattern PCD 5x114.3
Stock wheel offset 48 mm
Center bore (hub bore) 56.1
Thread size M12 x 1.25
Stock Rim Sizes Range 17x7.0 – 18x7.0

I wanted to buy winter tires that will fit with my steel wheels and swap with my all season one.
Then I will buy alloy rims for my all season tire.

Is it ideal to buy online and look for car shop to install it or buy directly from canadian tire or costo which they can give me a better price and warranty.
Let me know which is the best place to buy online and I have to find to look car shop to install it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, 2012 STi, 2008 Forester (Sold)
38 Posts
I ended up getting alloys for winter because steel wheels can rust pretty badly, even if you wash them before putting them away for the summer. They're also a lot lighter. But you already have steelies so that's moot.

My preference for winter tires has been Nokian because I haven't found anything better but yeah, they're a bit pricier.

The setup for my 2019 is Fast Wheels Aventure wheels which have a "Winter approved finish" and Nokian Hakka R3 tires. I like the look of the Aventure rims better than the stock rims too. The wheel's dark gray sets off the car's paint better.

I bought from a local tire shop. I'd rather support a local small business and there wasn't a big price difference. It's also a good idea to establish a relationship with a local company. They appreciate the business and my guys patched a puncture for me free of charge knowing I'm a return customer. I've also gotten a replacement tire at their cost after a blowout a month after buying a set of tires.

·
Registered
2014 Outback
115 Posts
Putting your new winter tires on your existing steel wheels (with TPMS) makes good sense, and then you have a few months to shop for new alloy wheels, TPMS and center caps to remount your all-season tires next April. We did exactly that on my kids Honda CR-V a few years ago.

In the US we have a number of smaller chains - neighborhood stores - that match prices with the big guys while offering (I think) superior service and supporting your local community. I've bought from Mavis Tire (NY Metro area origins, but spreading along the eastern seaboard and inland with time). Find a price on line or warehouse club, and they will beat it with a package of tire and installation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that is a good idea to support local businesses and 100% agree.
Yup that TPMS from manual is only available for US models.

Thanks 4inAnSTi & Fibber2, I appreciate your advice and response.

·
Registered
2014 Outback
115 Posts
Right, no TPMS in the Great White North. Too bad, really. TPMS saved us big time on both our Sienna and my Outback. Love it so much I bought a programming tool and blank sensors, and now make my own for winter tires.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
3 Posts
I just ordered 4 Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R3 SUV for our 2020 Forester Limited. I got the steel wheel as I would rather put the money on the tires rather than the wheels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just ordered 4 Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R3 SUV for our 2020 Forester Limited. I got the steel wheel as I would rather put the money on the tires rather than the wheels.
Solid choice. I was considering Nokians as well but there's limited availability in my neck of the woods so I went with the Continental vikings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You'll enjoy them. Quiet, excellent fuel economy for a winter tire, and most importantly, fantastic grip when things get messy. I do a lot of rallying and they've brought me through some interesting roads and situations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You'll enjoy them. Quiet, excellent fuel economy for a winter tire, and most importantly, fantastic grip when things get messy. I do a lot of rallying and they've brought me through some interesting roads and situations.
Oh nice! That's good to know that you used them rallying and they held up haha. Yeah I've had the wintercontact SIs previously and had a good experience with them. Figured the vikings would be on par.

Curious, What's your summer tire?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh nice! That's good to know that you used them rallying and they held up haha. Yeah I've had the wintercontact SIs previously and had a good experience with them. Figured the vikings would be on par.

Curious, What's your summer tire?
My first set of Hakka Rs on my STi lasted 7 seasons and I wasn't gentle with them. Still had about 1 mm to the wear bar but they started getting hard and weren't gripping as well anymore so I put some new Hakka R3s on last year. Same time I put Hakka R3 SUVs on the new Foz. So good.

A little off-topic but... The current Foz still has the stock no-season tires. I put Toyo Versado Noirs on my 08 Foz for the summer. I really liked them and sold the car before they wore out (four seasons). For my STi, I have Toyo R1Rs which I was actually awarded through rally competition. Yay, free tires! The dry grip is fantastic. I was so impressed with them I just replaced them with another set last week after nearly six seasons on my car (roughly 60,000 kms). That's great wear for such a soft "R" compound tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts