Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a brand new 06 Forester LL Bean Edition (my fiancee wanted it - :grin: ) but was dismayed to find out it not only lacked sirius as an option but also that there is no aux in. I've begun looking into 3rd part headunits that are double din so they at least look somewhat correct, but I am curious whether any exist which actually match the paint coloring of the dash. My fiancee really likes the way the existing stereo looks, so I may encounter some resistance convincing her to pull it for a black one which doesn't match the pretty silver color.

I've seen one example of a legacy where they sprayed the new faceplate to match, but I am not that creative.

I've got the in-dash 6 CD player if it makes a difference...

Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, your options are going to be limited if you decide to stick with the double din, for starters. You can always get the DIN pocket.... https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=781 and a single DIN source unit. That would give you some more storage space. I don't know if it would match your interior or if you could find it anymore, but I'm extremely happy with my Clarion. http://clarion.com/us/en/products/2005/audio/source_units/cd/DXZ555MP/us-en-product-pf_1133851137392.html It has a brushed aluminum faceplate. The kicker..... the HU's with the brushed aluminum are '05 models. That's why I say, "if you can find them". Who knows, though. If you do, you'd get one heck of a deal on one heck of a stereo.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I didn't realize you could get a brushed aluminum headunit - it would probably look pretty good. I'll have to look around for that one or others like it.

The other reason I was looking at a 2 DIN Unit was to find one which also had a DVD Player and Navigation Unit built in.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally have the Clarion DXZ835MP, which is black brushed aluminum and silver highlights, and selectable background color. This is a 2 year old model.

I also have the Clarion SIR-CL1 Sirius reciever installed, which works great :)

The caviat to that is, it is only a single din, and has no dvd/nav

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
i havent found a double din unit that has sirius built in i ended up buyin a kenwood excelon which is one of the best units ive ever owned

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all of the recommendations - keep them coming :)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really liked some of the audiocube stuff, but I am still holding out for the perfect headunit - since I can't really afford one right now anyway, I feel like there is no rush -

what I would really like:

-lcd screen
-dvd player
-harddrive based navigation
-ability to copy mp3s to harddrive
-sirius ready
-aux input
-aluminum or other metallic accents to match my Forester

I though I had found this all in the Eclipse AVN5495, but not only is it waaay too expensive and you can only rip mp3s to the HDD by listening to them, not copying the files directly to the HDD.

Tim

·
Registered
240 Posts
one day, I hope to have such a perfect life that I have time to worry if my head unit matches the color of my dashboard.

*note - i say this tongue in cheek, please don't take it as an inflammatory statement!

Once I gave a guy a set of PC speakers for free, this was back when there weren't a lot of choices, you could get beige junky ones or beige really junky ones.. no such thing as a subwoofer - these were the "better" kind and he gave them back to me the next day because he said the beige on them was 2 shades lighter than the beige on his monitor, and his wife didn't want to deal with them clashing. Wow.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:grin: Its not just me - it also needs to please the fiance - and she likes everything to look like it belongs.

Tim

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I would reccomend the Eclipse AVN 5435, although it's DVD-Based and not HD based.. it should serve your purpose. The top and bottom portions are silver.. matching the silver console.. additionally.. at night, the lights of the buttons are lit green.. just like the instrument panel and auto climate controls. It is double din.. and you can run an aux cable to it.. to input a ipod, which would make up for not having your 6cd changer. You can also by a sirius add-on unit for additional $, and have your satellite radio too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts