Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hello to all and thank you to everyone who posts on here, I just recently became a member, but have been reading posts for the last couple weeks and really value the great information that is on this site.

I recently bought my second Subaru, a 2004 XT with 90000 miles. I fell in love with this car the first time I drove it and love all the features of the vehicle.

Now the problem....After putting about 1500 miles on the vehicle, a bearing went on it. Catastrophic engine damage and the whole 9 yards. Now it was still under warranty, however, the warranty only covers so much of the total repair bill, so I am still looking at putting a lot of money into the ride. Fortunately, I have a great technician in town that is dropping a motor in for me once he gets all the parts. The heads should be here tomorrow and are coming from Clearwater Heads in Florida I believe. The block, he got from Subaru. Now onto my question. Is there anything else I should have him do before he drops the new motor? Also, how does break-in time work on a turbocharged engine? I want to make sure that once this new engine is in, I can drive for many carefree miles.

Any advice is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
consider new water pump and timing components in addition to the belt - tensioner, idlers. oil pump can have seal and o-ring fitted and screws on back tightened.

if a MT, consider clutch parts. i would at least replace throwout bearing.

i think the 2004s went back to a metal oil separator plate on the rear of the engine. if you're getting a new short block from Subaru it should have the metal cover instead of plastic but it wouldn't hurt to be sure. the plastic ones tend to crack as they age and leak oil, sometimes before the car needs a clutch or headgaskets.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am having new timing components installed for sure along with a new water pump. It is an automatic transmission so I guess I won't have to worry about the clutch parts.

I appreciate your feedback

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stopped into the shop today. Sounds like it is gonna be another couple days before they are ready to go, as they had to send off some parts. Anything else I should know about or should make my tech aware of before he gets going on the whole process?

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts