Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in installing some extra lights for rally-x and general driving applications. Main idea is to get wide and more-or-less even coverage (w/ stock headlights on), useful for both good weather and fog/dust/snow. As I am limited to 4 aux lights maximum, using separate lamps for high- and low-beams will not allow me to get the coverage I want. Flood or pencil-beams are out of the question as well.

Thus the question - can you recommend decent axillary lamps with both high (driving) and low (fog) beams? US DOT rules are not a concern, I'd even prefer symmetrical (left-right) pattern.

On the other hand, price is an concern, so HID and other fancy/advanced stuff is not an option either.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Can't have your cake and eat it. Driving and Fog are two different beam patterns but with four spots to mount you can do-it. Of course driving beams can not be used with oncoming drivers, nope! Lots of Hella FF choices under 100 bills to choose from. Choose your poison. For my latenight runs to my shack near Telluride I like the FF500's and wish I could afford HID's.

btw no participant in the National SCCA RX event up your way in Nov09 was aided by lamps. Ken sure puts on a great event.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't have your cake and eat it. Driving and Fog are two different beam patterns but with four spots to mount you can do-it.
btw no participant in the National SCCA RX event up your way in Nov09 was aided by lamps.
Indeed the reflectors are different (mounting point is less crucial, as it will be below the hood level anyway), but I have seen lamps with two reflectors (driving+fog); single-reflector high-low would also be acceptable and even preferable, yet I have trouble finding them as stand-alone aux lamps. Hence the original request for recommendation.

I was not at National, only at earlier events, including one night race, where I could not see anything at all with all the dust. And although for rally cross it is possible to adjust and/or replace lights depending on conditions, I am looking for something that would work in every day driving as well. So the quest for all-purpose aux light setup continues...

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yep, these are the only ones I have found so far. So, no high-low options at all?
There are a few options that use the H4 dual filament bulbs. However none of them are especially good. I'd put 2 driving beam 500's infront of the grill and 2 fog beam 500's lower down and further out.

Also if you want even more, then just put 4 driving beam lights on one of the roof rack bars with a quick disconnect. My buddy did that a few years ago, he would keep it in the trunk and then put it ontop and clip it all in for poor weather, snow, or offroading.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for an advice, but roof lights are not happening for me just yet.

For using driving lights only... I don't really need much more light front, stock high beams are adequate. Using them more sideways and tilted down, as you recommended, might be an option, but I'm slightly concerned about the beam patter. Need to try it though... or may be ask someone for pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts