Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Subaru Forester

Dealer wants over $500 for the XM module installed...I figure, why not get a nice head unit for the same price and have XM.

So I need a unit that has XM, can handle an iPod with info on the screen, and utilize the stock aux input jack in the armrest.

Any suggestions?!?!

·
Registered
09 forester
45 Posts
dude, go with a kenwood 5140 not the 514, make sure theres a zero at the end of the 514(0). its aftermarket touch screen (best price i found was @ bestbuy). there is garmin gps built into it already. its xm ready, sirus ready, dvd , cd playa. get an ipod cord to go with it that charges an iphone. don't forget the wire harness for 10' Forester. Anything from stock or that comes from the dealership is overpriced and bull****! ur aux input jack is bull **** too! i'll post some pix of my 09'forester head unit after market mods.

·
Registered
09 forester
45 Posts

don't mind the gps cord, this is an old pix, this is just to give u an idea, this next pic is where i hid the gps cord, its much cleaner now.

i used sticky back valcrow, to atatch to the dash plug.

now heres a pic of my aftermarket ipod cord that charges an iphone touch. here i used a circular file to fit on the side of the aux plug. , so that way it would be in the center console instead of my packed glove compartment.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I have the ddx 512 (the predecessor to the 514/5140) and love it. Ipod controls and touch screen are easy to use and understand. I don't have navi on mine (yet), but have read many positive reviews of the Garmin navi.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
+3 on getting a Kenwood.

I have the DDX-516 and love it. There's a whole lineup of Kenwoods like this that you can buy at different features included. Mine is just the basic one that you can expand on with bluetooth, nav, XM or Sirius, etc. The touchscreen is great and they look great in the dash. I use Crutchfield for research, but then buy stuff from Sonicelectronix and save a ton of money.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
138 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get a Pioneer FH-P800(0)BT or a Pioneer AVIC-U310BT unless you want your wife to sideswipe another car while trying to operate it. :icon_mad:

I tried both and then got the new Sony XAV-60. It's not perfect (I have high expectations), but I'm pretty happy with it. Also, buy on Amazon. This thing lists for $550, and I bought it for $280 on Amazon.

·
Registered
09 forester
45 Posts
ya don't go with any pioneer touch screen head units. they're hard to use during the day! i have a pioneer dvd player in my 08' tacoma, n thats y i put a kenwood in my lady's 09"forester.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,986 Posts
Another vote for Kenwood. Though I didn't go with a touch screen. Search out my name and you will see what set up I have.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get a Pioneer FH-P800(0)BT or a Pioneer AVIC-U310BT unless you want your wife to sideswipe another car while trying to operate it. :icon_mad:

I tried both and then got the new Sony XAV-60. It's not perfect (I have high expectations), but I'm pretty happy with it. Also, buy on Amazon. This thing lists for $550, and I bought it for $280 on Amazon.

The FH-P800BT is not a touch screen and is really easy to operate. You might have the name mixed up or something. Really good unit!

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
+3 on getting a Kenwood.

I have the DDX-516 and love it. There's a whole lineup of Kenwoods like this that you can buy at different features included. Mine is just the basic one that you can expand on with bluetooth, nav, XM or Sirius, etc. The touchscreen is great and they look great in the dash. I use Crutchfield for research, but then buy stuff from Sonicelectronix and save a ton of money.

can you change the color of the buttons? On Crutchfield it shows blue but your pic shows red.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
+1 for kenwood also. I used to be a huge Alpine fan, and I do love my CDA-9835 which is now over 6 years old, it just seems like after my model year alpines stuff got really cheap/chinsey.

I recently bought a kenwood marine unit for my ATV and i'm very happy with it, price was right, feels solid, has plenty of features and the sound quality is excellent.

My only suggestion would be that whatever you get, get something with bluetooth compatibility. The amount of things you can do with bluetooth are rapidly growing, but i personally like hands free calling through the car stereo, and the ability to broadcast music/navigation directions to my car stereo from my Droid without dealing with any wires.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
138 Posts
The FH-P800BT is not a touch screen and is really easy to operate. You might have the name mixed up or something. Really good unit!
Nope...That's the one I meant. And while that's not the one that caused the mishap, I definitely didn't find it very easy to operate. However, it's not terribly bad and I would have kept it if not for the obnoxiously bright blue display.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
dude, go with a kenwood 5140 not the 514, make sure theres a zero at the end of the 514(0). its aftermarket touch screen (best price i found was @ bestbuy). there is garmin gps built into it already. its xm ready, sirus ready, dvd , cd playa. get an ipod cord to go with it that charges an iphone. don't forget the wire harness for 10' Forester. Anything from stock or that comes from the dealership is overpriced and bull****! ur aux input jack is bull **** too! i'll post some pix of my 09'forester head unit after market mods.
+1

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
Nope...That's the one I meant. And while that's not the one that caused the mishap, I definitely didn't find it very easy to operate. However, it's not terribly bad and I would have kept it if not for the obnoxiously bright blue display.
Will have to agree to disagree because I love this unit! :chair: :raspberry:

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
18 Posts
I got the Pioneer AVIC F700BT for a really good deal off ebay. A little bit of help from the AVIC411 forums and I've got it upgraded to the most current maps and firmware. Not bad for $230!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
64 Posts

I assume the XAV-60 controls your ipod/iphone music playback flawlessly? But no bluetooth on the XAV-60 so no calling is possible, only music/video playback.

Sony's site doesn't distinguish between iPhone 3G and 3GS, but they list all the various gens of the ipods supported including my 5th gen video ipod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts