Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealership for a warranty covered alignment (car pulling to the left) and while I was there I had them reflash the ECU with the recent update covered in TSB 11-187-18. The TSB is supposed to fix hesitation when the EGR is engaged so I'm assuming while the engine is cold.

Either way, I had it done. I could feel the car hesitate when accelerating while the cold engine light is turned on. First impression now is that it does feel a little snappier. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say a 5% difference in performance. It's not worth going out of your way to do but if you're already there, might as well knock it out.

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
Nice, the cold engine hesitation is an annoyance for sure. Looking forward to updating.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Got the TSB applied today. In addition to the ECU update for this TSB, there was a TCU update too. Unsure what the TCU update was specifically for but on the paperwork it said for scan tool...I think it was to allow scan tool compatibility. Also had them update the head unit to the latest version. Took about 2 hours.

It's got to relearn again but it's driving really well. I will drive it cold tomorrow to see if the EGR cycle hesitation is gone.

Edit: Drove it cold this morning several times. You can still tell there is a tendency to bog a bit if you give it just the right amount of throttle but the recovery is much much smoother as opposed to bog then aggressive recovery. A worthwhile update as I'm seeing so far.

·
Registered
2017 17 XTP & 15 2.5i CVT
107 Posts
Got the TSB applied today. In addition to the ECU update for this TSB, there was a TCU update too. Unsure what the TCU update was specifically for but on the paperwork it said for scan tool...I think it was to allow scan tool compatibility. Also had them update the head unit to the latest version. Took about 2 hours.

It's got to relearn again but it's driving really well. I will drive it cold tomorrow to see if the EGR cycle hesitation is gone.

Edit: Drove it cold this morning several times. You can still tell there is a tendency to bog a bit if you give it just the right amount of throttle but the recovery is much much smoother as opposed to bog then aggressive recovery. A worthwhile update as I'm seeing so far.

Can you pls provide the exact TCU info from your paperwork? ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
They don't give it to you, they just list aTCU update for scantool and then note the labor code which is universal regardless of which update you take.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
11 Posts
Thanks for posting this!

I brought my 2018 in for the update, and I can't say I've noticed a whole lot of difference. That said, I never push it until it's warmed up but thought I'd chime in.

·
Registered
2017 FXT CVT
57 Posts
I was at my local dealer yesterday for a final service before my 36 month warranty coverage expires (long story). While there, I asked about TSB 11-187-18. I had them apply the ECU update. I'm really glad I did. I'm finding that the acceleration at low speeds (cold engine?) is much smoother. The car seems much more "civilized." However, if you like a bit of lag and then a huge boost from the turbo, don't get this update :unsure:. Time will tell but first impressions are very positive.

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
438 Posts
I thought EGR engagement is when the engine is warm. I find that when my engine is warm, there is a lag when I stomp on the gas peddle. Wonder if this TSB would help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts