Standby for an update.

This is the status of my computer as of 7:35am

Updates should be done by 11:00am

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 5.2 is from my GPU. I get a 5.2 for running Aero and a 5.5 for Gaming Graphics.

CPU and RAM are at 6.2, and primary harddisk is a 5.9.

I wish I could swap out the GPU from the 9500M I have to the G210M that is now an option on these things!

·
I'm here to HIJACK yo' thread!!!!
08 Forester 2.5
614 Posts
Is this a notebook ?
I wish I could upgrade to 6 or 8 gigs of ram.

I have an ASUS G50VT-X1 with a 9800M GTS

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, my Dell Studio XPS 13

I haven't yet put the RAM through it's paces, but I intend to!

I really wish I could upgrade the GPU, but apparently they are soldered to the MoBo and would require a new motherboard with the G210M already installed. Apparently they aren't socket based.

·
Registered
2010 Sexually Trans infec 6MT
2,406 Posts
What do you need that much RAM for?
Mine has 2GBs and runs HD pron just fine :|

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3D modeling. Plus, I do a LOT of finite element analysis, and it's pretty resource intensive.

So wait, the 9800M is a socket-based GPU? How can I find out if my 9500M is? I wonder if I could just swap them out?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know enough about laptop GPU's to know. If it is, that's great news! A 9800M would be some kind of a step up.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
4GB is like the minimum these days lol. Sure does feel that way just burning discs and trying to stream at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tastycake?

I may be upgrading to a T9800 CPU shortly. That should speed things up even more!

As I mentioned, I do lots of FEA (finite element analysis) and fluid flow simulation. I just completed a geartrain FEA for a project in a little under 90 seconds. With 4GB of RAM it was taking just over 15 minutes. On my old WinXP desktop, something MUCH simpler than this would have taken almost 50 minutes.

RAM is sweet. I just wish the GPU were up to snuff.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
Tastycake?

I may be upgrading to a T9800 CPU shortly. That should speed things up even more!

As I mentioned, I do lots of FEA (finite element analysis) and fluid flow simulation. I just completed a geartrain FEA for a project in a little under 90 seconds. With 4GB of RAM it was taking just over 15 minutes. On my old WinXP desktop, something MUCH simpler than this would have taken almost 50 minutes.

RAM is sweet. I just wish the GPU were up to snuff.
It's my street name :lol:. It is what I have always name my electronics, a bad never ending fad of mine...

I wish I had the money to build another with multi cores and 8gig ram, but alas college eats my life.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
What type of ram and HD are in there? Pretty low numbers for the specs. Guessing 5400rpm HD rather than a 7200? Should swap an SSD in there.

Also, the video card on 99% of laptops is integrated. Even if the actual GPU was socketed you wouldn't really have any upgrade paths. CPU and GPU are the most important specs when getting a laptop, as just about everything else is upgradeable, and are almost always the parts that are under-specced to bring the price down.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The RAM is DDR3 PC3-1066

The HD is a Western Digital Caviar Black (320GB and 7200RPM).

The CPU is perfectly upgradeable, but the GPU isn't, and wasn't really a priority when I got the laptop (before I understood the importance of the GPU...)

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Odd, Windows just told me to re-run the performance test again...

Now I have a 5.6 for Aero, but a 4.7 for gaming graphics...

Odd.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts