Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I 'm new to this site. After owning a 2001 forester S and after seeing the XT i knew it was time for a new purchase. Living on Long Island,there weren't many used one to choose from. I did find one, slightly used w/16K on the clock and adult female owned. My question is i would like to slightly modify this for more power and quickness and input. Gary

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Welcome, Gary.

Scroll down from the main forums, and you'll find sections like "Turbo Tuning", "Brakes", "Suspension", and "Wheels and Tires" which should give you LOTS of information and opinions on what to get. If you'd simply like to buy all the goodies, then the read-only Part numbers section is for you. Jackie from Annapolis Subaru gathered all the part numbers (with some help from GTP), and placed them in one nice, neat, concise thread for you.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
815 Posts
Welcome!

Unfortunately, we used to have an entire library on modding Forester's at the old site (subaruforester.com). There was years of knowledge built up and written down.

Thank's to folks like ^^Roo^^, we are back up and running, and getting all that knowledge back down in "print". Don't hesitate to ask questions, we are quickly building the new site back up so enjoy, there is a lot to learn.

·
Premium Member
04 XT
733 Posts
GMXT04 said:
My question is i would like to slightly modify this for more power and quickness and input. Gary
Welcome to the forum.

For modest power gains your best bet is turbo back exhaust and tuning. There are a lot of choices out there.

PS: Do get a better set of tires and consider improved brake pads. The Geolanders are marginal tires on a stock car.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Like any modern turbo car major gains can be found by simply chaning the engine software mappings. Cobb has a pretty slick setup that seems to add real power for not too much cost and no trip to a shop to change stock components.

This will probably be my first upgrade, at some point:
http://cobbtuning.com/forester/accessport.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey all thanks for the advice. the Cobb set up seems interesting. Anyone point me in the right direction on this modification,and is it worth the money.
Thanks Gary

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
Hey, was that Karen's? Nice ride, I test drove it a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
398 Posts
GMXT04 said:
Sirwilliam,what modifications do you recommend?
VF39/STi intercooler swap w/ custom tune (Cobb AP iirc), TBE exhaust, catless uppipe are basically his setup as far as power... so his answer might echo that... ;)

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
GMXT04 said:
Sirwilliam,what modifications do you recommend?
What DanzBorin said will work but you said "i would like to slightly modify this for more power and quickness" so your cheapest route would be STi bolt ons:

2004 STi ECU
VF39 turbo
STi OEM catless uppipe
STi OEM catback
STi OEM TMIC (top mount intercooler)
Larger 3" catted downpipe to replace the FXT downpipe and midpipe (Helix, Cobb, or Daddy's)

This setup will net you roughly 15-25HP and roughly the same increase in torque over the stock STi.

You can get these used like I did or you can buy them new. Here is the thread from Jackie that has the parts and numbers you need:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=2186

Also, www.gruppe-s.com for Helix parts, www.cobbtuning.com for Cobb parts, and www.daddysscp.com for Daddy's (Mad Dad) parts.

PM me if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
And get the Sube extended warranty from Metric sube or online at that place that discounts them for about 800. Well worth it.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Jeffn said:
And get the Sube extended warranty from Metric sube or online at that place that discounts them for about 800. Well worth it.
Unless you're planning on modding the car... then it's money down the crapper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts