Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, came across it on mysubaru.com when I was updating my oil change info over the weekend. First it read for 2005 Outbacks, which made no sense as ours are 2008's, but now they've changed it to :

We would like to thank you for selecting a 2006~2009 Subaru Legacy / Outback or 2008~2010 Subaru Forester with a 2.5 Liter engine equipped with a California Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) emission system. At Subaru, we take pride in our products and are committed to your continued satisfaction

It's WVM23. If anyone can come up with a copy of it that would be great. The conditions it describes pretty well match my round trips from Boston to DC I've been making lately.

I've got an appt scheduled for Weds. this week. I hope this doesn't mess up anything else.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5i Automatic
161 Posts
I'm planning on a trip to Virginia this week. Just talked to my Subaru service area, and they told me that this should not interfere with my trip.
Hope they are right.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
Recall Notice: Engine Control Module (ECM) Reprogramming

Text:

Dear Subaru owner:

We would like to thank you for selecting a 2006~2009 Subaru Legacy / Outback or 2008~2010 Subaru Forester with a 2.5 Liter engine equipped with a California Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) emission system. At Subaru, we take pride in our products and are committed to your continued satisfaction.

During a quality review, we discovered that under certain severe driving patterns, such as high speed highway/uphill driving and/or accelerating with high engine revolutions, the efficiency of your vehicle`s catalytic converter may begin to degrade beyond design parameters. (The `Check Engine` light will illuminate to alert you if the catalytic converter efficiency has degraded beyond an acceptable level and if your vehicle may be releasing air pollutants that exceed Federal or California emission standards.) To prevent this condition, Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic that will improve management of the catalytic converter. This software change will not adversely affect the performance of your vehicle.

WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO PROMPTLY
We suggest that you schedule an appointment with your Subaru Dealer as soon as possible to have your vehicle`s Engine Control Module software reprogrammed. The approximate time to perform this update is 40 minutes. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your car for a longer period on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling other appointments. Your Subaru dealer will perform this repair at no cost to you. Please present this letter to your Subaru Dealer on the day of your service appointment.

CALIFORNIA REGISTERED OWNERS
The California Air Resources Board requires that emission related campaigns be completed prior to California`s vehicle registration renewal process; without this repair, you will not be able to register your vehicle during your next annual registration. Upon completion of the services required by this campaign, your California dealer will complete and provide you a `Proof of Correction Certificate.` If required, present the certificate to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (the `DMV`) when renewing your California registration as proof of campaign completion. If the DMV does not request the certificate, we recommend that you keep it for your records.

In addition, the State of California requires that every vehicle must pass an emission test (SMOG Check) every two years and before it is sold. Without the free service we are providing, your vehicle may be more likely to fail this test and require that you make costly repairs.

CHANGED YOUR ADDRESS OR SOLD YOUR SUBARU?
If you have changed your address, or if you have sold your Subaru, please complete the enclosed prepaid postcard and mail it to us.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE
To locate your nearest Subaru Dealer, you can access our web site at Subaru Cars, Wagons, SUVs, Crossovers | Subaru of America and go to the dealer locator function. Or, you may call us at 1-800SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783) during normal business hours. Please call or write (using the address at the top of this letter) us immediately if the dealer fails or is unable to complete this procedure free of charge.

Your continued satisfaction with Subaru is important to us. This update is intended to assure your vehicle`s optimal performance. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,018 Posts
Subaru Recall FYI Just received by me yesterday.

Recall Notice: Engine Control Module (ECM) ReprogrammingService Program WVM-23 (2006-2009 Legacy / Outback or 2008 - 2010 Forester 2.5L with PZEV)

Deleted as it was a duplicate.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,698 Posts
Huh? *** is this about....I haven't gotten this notice... and I'm not going to take it into a dealer and "Leave it for a while" for them to **** it it.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh? *** is this about....I haven't gotten this notice... and I'm not going to take it into a dealer and "Leave it for a while" for them to **** it it.

If you haven't already you might want to create an account with mysubaru.com its easy, although the reworked site seems to be slower than the older site was. Once your car is registered there they have your VIN, so you can check the site periodically. Also, its a great way to log maintenance items you perform or have done.

You can also just call the dealer and give them the recall notice number and your VIN. That should be all they need to tell you over the phone whether or not its applicable for you or car.

Or, you can call Subaru directly and ask them.

Or, you can wait and see if they ever send out the paper copy via mail.

Lots of options.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,698 Posts
Thanks Larry.

Just kind of pisses me off..brand new vehicle that California won't reregister until dealer reprograms computer? Am I missing something?
I have ZERO faith in dealers....ABSOLUTELY ZERO. .. and I will need to be monetarily compensated for my time going to the fricking dealer.... to have someone right out of tech school to [email protected]# with computer.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Larry.

Just kind of pisses me off..brand new vehicle that California won't reregister until dealer reprograms computer? Am I missing something?
I have ZERO faith in dealers....ABSOLUTELY ZERO. .. and I will need to be monetarily compensated for my time going to the fricking dealer.... to have someone right out of tech school to [email protected]# with computer.
Can't say as I blame you, things like this used to tick me off to no end. Then as I got older and started spending more time at funerals and cemetaries the things I have no control over stopped bothering me.

Not to say it isn't irritating, especially on a new car, but these days if there's no body bags involved, it really doesn't get to me.

As regards to dealers, I always feel like unless I know more about the problem than they do, there's almost no chance of it getting fixed right the first time. I'm lucky in that I've been using the same dealer now for 7 years and they know that if I'm bringing the car in the problem is for real, and that I won't give up until its fixed. Its gotten to a point of mutual respect. They do have a couple of really great mechanics and service writers.

But from the accounts I read here and elsewhere I feel like I've got the exception and not the rule.

I digress, good luck with getting it fixed - they say its a 40 minute job, so perhaps your dealer would be flexible enough to actually schedule a 40 minute window of time? Still not ideal, but not much else you can do.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
Dear Subaru owner:... under certain severe driving patterns, such as high speed highway/uphill driving and/or accelerating with high engine revolutions, the efficiency of your vehicle`s catalytic converter may begin to degrade... The `Check Engine` light will illuminate to alert you... if your vehicle may be releasing air pollutants that exceed Federal or California emission standards... To prevent this condition, Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic that will improve management of the catalytic converter. This software change will not adversely affect the performance of your vehicle... Subaru of America, Inc.
Wish they would put this in mechanical terms. Sounds like the converter can't catalyze the maximum flow of exhaust that the engine is capable of putting out. And the ECM is not going to "improve management" of the converter; it is going to manage the engine to adjust the fuel mixture going to converter at full throttle. Probably lean it out so the converter has less hydrocarbons to catalyze. Cheaper to adjust the mixture than replace the converter with a bigger/better one.

It seems that whatever the recall does is bound to adversely affect the performance at full throttle.

·
Banned
09 Forester XT
295 Posts
Just logged into mysubaru and have no recalls on my turbo. :woohoo:

I would agree that performance is going to be affected somewhat, no other way to reduce emissions without doing so.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,698 Posts
Wish they would put this in mechanical terms. Sounds like the converter can't catalyze the maximum flow of exhaust that the engine is capable of putting out. And the ECM is not going to "improve management" of the converter; it is going to manage the engine to adjust the fuel mixture going to converter at full throttle. Probably lean it out so the converter has less hydrocarbons to catalyze. Cheaper to adjust the mixture than replace the converter with a bigger/better one.

It seems that whatever the recall does is bound to adversely affect the performance at full throttle.
I agree.. they will lean out an already lean motor!

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks so they can try it on others first.
No dead bodies Larry, your're right. I sent email to my salesman ....
Also created an account at mysubaru.. thanks for that.

While I'm in there they can bleed my brakes.. I don't like sitting at a stoplight with foot on brake and all of a sudden brake peddle drops an inch!
They will need to give the free car wash too.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wish they would put this in mechanical terms. .....
Which given the rather lackluster performance at full throttle already, at least on our PZEV OB's, this could really stink.

I'm going to get mine done tomorrow and will be driving 550 miles on Friday. Saturday I'll post how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree.. they will lean out an already lean motor!

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks so they can try it on others first.
No dead bodies Larry, your're right. I sent email to my salesman ....
Also created an account at mysubaru.. thanks for that.

While I'm in there they can bleed my brakes.. I don't like sitting at a stoplight with foot on brake and all of a sudden brake peddle drops an inch!
They will need to give the free car wash too.
Make sure they look hard at the brakes and booster - nothing that new should need to be bled already. Does the idle change when the brake pedal drops? Almost sounds like a vacuum issue. Either way, get something in writing from them that the entire brake system is perfect.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,698 Posts
Service manager, after leaving message for appointment, calls back 6 ours later. Says it's an "Upgrade" for the computer.

How many of these upgrades am I going to need. I detest going to the dealer for service.. it's a day out of my life. Phone Tag.. waiting... mechanical mumbo-jumbo scripted for the naive ......

Take a look at my Avatar.. 23 year old Ford.. never been back to the dealer.
I also donated a 95 T-bird and 92 Volvo 240 to The Salvation Army. I got tired of smogging these vehicles in California, and figured with one new car it would be easier. T-bird went back to dealer to rebuild transmission after it went out at 66k... and they F-ucked that up. Broke down in a month and had to go back for a free fix....while renting a car.

What really bothers me is I bought new car.. it's a PZEV and 150K emissions warranty... now it may not pass if I don't do this "upgrade"...THIS IS BS.
It passed the day I bought it.. why not now?

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Service manager, after leaving message for appointment, calls back 6 ours later. Says it's an "Upgrade" for the computer.
In software speak upgrade = fix. What they should say is that they've reworked the map for the points they're concerned with. How's that going to affect drivabilty? We'll see.

FWIW this is the first reflash I've needed in 7 years across 5 different Subaru vehicles.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
... What really bothers me is I bought new car.. it's a PZEV and 150K emissions warranty... now it may not pass if I don't do this "upgrade"...THIS IS BS.
It passed the day I bought it.. why not now?
Your Forester passes now, and will always continue to pass, unless you corner hard with less than 1.5 gallons in the tank and happen to ruin the converter.
The recall is not for an "upgrade", it is for the removal of a valve in the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your Forester passes now, and will always continue to pass, unless you corner hard with less than 1.5 gallons in the tank and happen to ruin the converter.
The recall is not for an "upgrade", it is for the removal of a valve in the gas tank.
Two different topics/recalls here. The first was the info I posted on the reflash, which is what I believe trailangel is referring to. The second is the one regarding the valve removal that I think Neoshi posted.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not really pertaining to the reflash recall but I've noticed that on a cold start my car now reeks of gas. Almost the same pig rich odor my FXT used to have. Didn't start this until after my DC roundtrips. Wonder if I cooked the cats, as my trips were of the type exactly mentioned as capable of damaging the cats? And they were long trips 11 hours, 9.5 hours, 13 hours, and 9 hours.

No check engine light yet, and I just passed MA state inspection.

The wife's OBW, is totally oderless when started @ ~ 34k.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts