43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment | NHTSA 1/1
Apr 15,2021
Manufacturer Recall Number WRD21
NHTSA Recall Number 21V263000
Recall Status Recall Incomplete
Summary
Subaru of America, Inc. is recalling certain 2019 model year Forester and 2018-2019 model year
Crosstrek vehicles. Subaru has determined that over time, due to initial variation in rear stabilizer
bracket dimensions, the rear stabilizer bracket bolt(s) may loosen.
Safety Risk
If the rear stabilizer bracket bolt(s) detach, there is an increased risk of a crash.
Remedy
For all potentially affected vehicles, retailers will inspect the condition of the bolts and retorque to
specification, if necessary, at no cost to the customer. If a bolt is missing, the retailer will install a new
bolt at no cost to the customer. Owner notification is expected to begin in mid-May 2021. Owners may
contact Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru's number for this recall is WRD-21.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at
1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Manufacturer's Notes
For additional information, please contact your dealer or visit Subaru.com/contact us.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
722 Posts
presumably, for reasonably sensitive and attentive drivers, a loose or missing rear stabilizer bar bolt would make some form of fairly ugly noise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interesting....

Subaru of New Zealand has notified me of the recall affecting my vehicle but they have worded it very differently to the US, there is NO mention of the risk of a car crash!

All they've said (quoted verbatim):

"In the worst-case scenario, it might cause damage to its peripheral parts such as the brake pipe, drive shaft or sub frame."

And my dealer told me it's a "future recall, don't have to do it now"

Rather surprised.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
722 Posts
Interesting....

Subaru of New Zealand has notified me of the recall affecting my vehicle but they have worded it very differently to the US, there is NO mention of the risk of a car crash!

All they've said (quoted verbatim):

"In the worst-case scenario, it might cause damage to its peripheral parts such as the brake pipe, drive shaft or sub frame."

And my dealer told me it's a "future recall, don't have to do it now"

Rather surprised.
You may have hit upon a distinct feature of US product liability law - it is now customary for Americans to be subjected to myriad warnings of injury and death from huge numbers of hypothetical causes, many of them ridiculously unlikely, when the product comes from a company large enough to have significant assets that would be vulnerable in a lawsuit. At the same time, the realistic most likely negative effects of what we're being warned about, are ignored (most usually, "you may damage it"). The whole point, in the background, is convincing a jury in a future court case that yes we were warned. The volume of all the warnings, in my opinion, often far exceeds the limit at which they begin to hinder the transmittal of good practical information. Take a look at all the gray-colored "warning" boxes in the manual for my car: Subaru Forester Manuals 2017 Forester Owner's Manual

·
Registered
2007 Forester Columbia Edition
353 Posts
You may have hit upon a distinct feature of US product liability law - it is now customary for Americans to be subjected to myriad warnings of injury and death from huge numbers of hypothetical causes, many of them ridiculously unlikely, when the product comes from a company large enough to have significant assets that would be vulnerable in a lawsuit. At the same time, the realistic most likely negative effects of what we're being warned about, are ignored (most usually, "you may damage it"). The whole point, in the background, is convincing a jury in a future court case that yes we were warned. The volume of all the warnings, in my opinion, often far exceeds the limit at which they begin to hinder the transmittal of good practical information. Take a look at all the gray-colored "warning" boxes in the manual for my car: Subaru Forester Manuals 2017 Forester Owner's Manual
This post reply has a California Prop 65 warning attached to it, this post contains text that may cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. /s

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
305 Posts
I had this recall-inspection done yesterday on both of my Foresters. They took about an hour to get around to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment | NHTSA 1/1
Apr 15,2021
Manufacturer Recall Number WRD21
NHTSA Recall Number 21V263000
Recall Status Recall Incomplete
Summary
Subaru of America, Inc. is recalling certain 2019 model year Forester and 2018-2019 model year
Crosstrek vehicles. Subaru has determined that over time, due to initial variation in rear stabilizer
bracket dimensions, the rear stabilizer bracket bolt(s) may loosen.
Safety Risk
If the rear stabilizer bracket bolt(s) detach, there is an increased risk of a crash.
Remedy
For all potentially affected vehicles, retailers will inspect the condition of the bolts and retorque to
specification, if necessary, at no cost to the customer. If a bolt is missing, the retailer will install a new
bolt at no cost to the customer. Owner notification is expected to begin in mid-May 2021. Owners may
contact Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru's number for this recall is WRD-21.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at
1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Manufacturer's Notes
For additional information, please contact your dealer or visit Subaru.com/contact us.
We have a 2019 Forester Base Model. While my wife was driving the Forester this afternoon, she heard a loud "bang" as she was turning left in a parking lot, followed by a few seconds of "clanking", as she described it. When she arrived home, I visually inspected the rear suspension and didn't see anything amiss. However, I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow for the recall/inspection of the rear stabilizer bracket bolt. Has anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base Model CVT 2.5 L
17 Posts
I found what to tighten on web site above, one side I removed tire to access to those bolts, other side, I went under worked around suspension parts. both side was tight, my forester is assembled in Japan, VIN number start with 'J'

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have a 2019 Forester Base Model. While my wife was driving the Forester this afternoon, she heard a loud "bang" as she was turning left in a parking lot, followed by a few seconds of "clanking", as she described it. When she arrived home, I visually inspected the rear suspension and didn't see anything amiss. However, I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow for the recall/inspection of the rear stabilizer bracket bolt. Has anyone had a similar experience?
I took the Forester in for the Recall Inspection and everything was fine. Bolts were torqued correctly and nothing was amiss. It took about an hour start to finish; they offered to wash the car too, but I'd rather do it at home and know that it was done right without a brush car wash.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
98 Posts
Just an FYI everyone, even if you didn't get a notice about the recall, get yours checked. I never received a notice, and still don't have one, but the bolts came loose. Literally happened at the same exact time as a buddy with a '19 while we were both on a forest service road. He ended up losing one of his bolts while mine was simply loose.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
359 Posts
Those of you that had this recall done: How long has this taken? Dealer just quoted me a “half to full day” to leave the vehicle with them. To check and torque two bolts? Sounds like typical dealer speak, but the dealer is an hour drive each way and I’d like to plan ahead.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
98 Posts
@supasta

Takes like 5 minutes with an impact wrench if that. I torqued mine down myself with a ratchet and some loctite though. Took 30 minutes. Couldn't justify the 30 minute drive to the dealership.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,357 Posts
I was in and out in 30 minutes. But there were no issues in my case…all was fine.

At most, unless there was damage caused by loose/missing bolt, an hour should be tops.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took the Forester in for the Recall Inspection and everything was fine. Bolts were torqued correctly and nothing was amiss. It took about an hour start to finish; they offered to wash the car too, but I'd rather do it at home and know that it was done right without a brush car wash.
Follow Up: While I was changing the oil 2 days ago, I noticed that all of the screws holding the plastic skid plate around the engine were loose. It was probably just a short time before they all would start falling out. The plastic fasteners were still tight, so it probable would not have fallen off. I realize that this is not a highly functional item, but it would still be a pain to have it hang down while driving.

·
Registered
2019 Forester 2.5i CTV
45 Posts
I had this recall-inspection done yesterday on both of my Foresters. They took about an hour to get around to it.
I was told by Subaru Canada that they don't have the parts to fix the loose stabilizer bracket if it's required. So I'm waiting to hear from them. In the meantime because of a "risk of a crash" I am staying off the highways. It's so frustrating not to be able to use my car as needed.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
98 Posts
@SubaruFred

It's just a 12mm bolt for a sway bar bracket that needs to be tightened down or replaced if memory serves. Mine, and a friend's got loose at the same time on the trails, his bolt backed all the way out and mine was just loose. Just created a noticeable clunking sound that sounded like a rock rattling around when hitting any bump. Very easy fix on your own if you have a jack and some ratchets. I got mine squared away myself, and just made sure to put locktite on it as mine had loosened a second time after only being torqued down with an impact wrench.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
98 Posts
@4inAnSTi the recall is referring to A to the best of my knowledge, at least that's where myself and a friend had the issues. Specifically on the driver side.

Though I never got the recall, but he did.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, 2012 STi, 2008 Forester (Sold)
140 Posts
Thought so but figured I'd clarify. For reference, the copy of the service manual I have says this about installing the bracket:

Install the bracket COMPL stabilizer.
To prevent damage to the vehicle body, place a cloth, etc. between the bracket COMPL stabilizer and the vehicle body. After tightening nuts to specified torque, be sure to remove the cloth, etc.
Tightening torque:
35 N·m (3.6kgf-m, 25.8ft-lb)

This may be old info now as the manual I have is from before the recall was issued.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts