Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester 5 speed
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a timing belt break on me about a month ago, I finished rebuilding the motor yesterday and got it back into my FXT and it wouldnt start.

I checked my connections, and I cant see any that I misssed (had another person check also)
The spark plugs are new and the coil packs almost never go bad
I checked fuel and sure enough the fuel has gone bad, so I drained and replaced

But my motor still wont start, It doesnt even act like it wants to, it just turns over.

my question is could bad gas still be in the fuel rails?

are there any other things to check that I am looking over?

·
Registered
2010 FXT vf52'd
66 Posts
Have you checked and made sure the fuel connections are not reversed?
Like the supply going to the return and vise versa? just a thought....

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
657 Posts
Had a very similar experience lately - extensive engine mods, then would not fire - fuel pump and fuel gauge not working.

I had missed a ground wire that supplied a lot of circuits, including the computer and fuel pump!

Look around for one dangling ground connector.....

S

·
Registered
2001 Forester 5 speed
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
from what I know there are only 3 ground wires, 2 on the manifold and 1 on the starter

as for the fuel lines, I know that the fuel inlet to motor (aka outlet of filter) to top, return to tank is middle, and vent lower.

·
Registered
2001 Forester 5 speed
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it possible that the timing belt damaged the crank sensor?

·
Registered
2001 Forester 5 speed
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crank sensor doesnt look damaged, could that still be the problem

·
Registered
1998 Forester 5 speed manual
3 Posts
Did you ever find a resolution?

Im having the same problem after doing the HGs in my 1998 forester. I did the timing belt too, but im sure that it is lined up properly. The starter cranks, I can hear the fuel pump, and there was plenty of pressure in the fuel line after the filter (made quite a mess, I didnt know how to depressurize the fuel system withour the car running) when I removed the line just now.

I took my sweet time to do the HG project so my intake manifold along with the fuel rails/connections were sitting outside for about three weeks (in Arizona).

I too am wondering about the bad fuel/dust that may be in the rails, and would appreciate any suggestions about how to get it started.

Thanks

·
Registered
'99 Impreza EJ227 JDM DCCD 6spd
97 Posts
If you are sure of yourself you got the right markings on the belt to the right notches on the sprockets then it should fire. The middle marking on the LINE notch on the crank sprocket and not the triangle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts