Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 X 18,000 miles.I guess it's time to replace rear wiper.Do i really need need to use a OEM?Anyone recomend an after market that would work? Thanks.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Thunderbolt said:
I have a 2005 X 18,000 miles.I guess it's time to replace rear wiper.Do i really need need to use a OEM?Anyone recomend an after market that would work? Thanks.
Napa exact fit's do a fine job on my Lexus......there is also a brand new Bosch (can't remember the name however), Trico's are good.....but no you don't have to use OEM if you don't want to......just make sure you get the correct size (16" for rear wiper, 22" for drivers & 19" for passenger). I usually replace all my wipers in the fall to keep things 'in sync' so I don't have to make 2 trips. ;)

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
35 Posts
I was never able to find anything but the OEM that would fit on my 04 FXT - it's not a standard mount. Some people have changed just the rubber blade itself but I seem to remember there were issues there too.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
I am not a big advocate of Walmart, but my wife is. 4-5 yrs ago her 96 Caravan needs front wipers (26" IIRC). She was in Pennsylvania taking care of her mom for the weekend during some bad rain. Of course she needed wipers so on a trip to Walmart she bought refills. There were LEXOR brand. She paid less than $5 for a pair. It's only the rubber refill that works on OEM wiper frames.
After I saw them, I went and looked, sure enough there were LEXOR B which I could use on MY02 Forester. Just the rubber, you reuse the metal spring stiffeners along the edges from the old ones (Subaru supplies these with Genuine replacement refills). You cut them to length, remove the old, transfer the metal stiffeners, and reinstall. I have used these on both the front and rear of MY04 also.
Brand name was Lexor. They have 4 types last I was there types A, B, C, and D. each are different thicknesses or mounting grooves.
I keep a spare set in the long narrow storage bin, the one right behind the rear seatback.
End of My $.02

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
You can get just the rubber part a lot cheaper though

PN: SOA591U316R

From my link above. about 3.50 USD

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Here are the LIST (retail) prices from the dealer. Even with a discount, your local dealer would be cheaper than from the internet, unless shipping is free or you buy in large quantities:

2004-2006 - Subaru - Forester
Windshield, Wiper and washer components, Insert, To 1-31-05 Right - 2003-05 $4.95

Windshield, Wiper and washer components, Insert, To 1-31-05 Left - 2003-05 $4.95

Lift gate, Wiper and washer components, Insert, $4.95

·
Registered
98 Posts
I tried the rear wiper blade insert SOA591U316R that Peaty described on my 04 FXT and found it to be inferior to the factory original. It didn't fit as well, and it streaked. I think the inserts for the US are ANCO products.

I ordered the original factory plastic blade assembly instead, even though it cost about $11 US versus $5 US for the rubber insert alone:

Rear plastic blade assembly: 86542SA050.

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Didn't realize the rear wiper blade was difficult to come by in the aftermarket.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got a set wiper blades for my '05. I wanted the refills but the parts guy at the dealer said they weren't available. I knew this wasn't true, but I figured finding quality refills without going mail-order would be hard. The rear wiper was about $7.50, but it is a metal frame, and my original one is plastic and (I think) designed to keep water from freezing in it. I will just pull the rubber out of the new one and install it in the old one.

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Anybody try the new RainX wiper blades?

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new wiper blades from RainX? Here is some more info at www.rainx.com

Also, I hear the PIAA blades are very good......but very expensive! ;)

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Peaty said:
I have a Rain-X one on my passenger side and it works well. Used them on the OB too. PIAA ones I found to be not very good:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375
Thanks Peaty for the link to the PIAA's. :)

Are the RainX blades reasonably priced compared to OE or other 'decent' non OE replacements?

Are they redily available at auto parts chains lile Pep Boys, Autozone & Discount AP's?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
I got mine at WalMart if I remember. The price was fine, I think I'm going to try the Bosch Icon blades next though, those look nice (for the front that is not rear)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rain-X

I replaced the driver side with Rain-X but the passenger side is still the one that came with the Forester, major improvement...

Rain-X cost almost twice as much as the others at wal-mart, around $8.xx, but it works good so far.

05 FXT

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just bought wiper for my '03 XS this past November.
I picked up the BOSCH blades at Pep Boys. I replaced the two front and rear wipers. It was the entire blade, not just the insert. I believe the rear blade was about $7.
They work quite well, and have found that the BOSCH blades last a good while too.

This is my second set in 3 years (60,000 miles) and I am MORE than happy with them. :)

Dom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts