Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I have the dreaded rust around the spindle issue on my rear tailgate (SF5). The nut on the spindle is rusted on and have repeatedly applied WD40 and still no joy getting it off.

Is there a 'how to' on removing the motor and spindle? Anyone done it? How do I get that blo*dy nut off??!!

cheers

mike

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for info flstffxe, can this be had in the UK?

Unsure why this post was moved form Europe section really as I was hoping for some UK recommended products/feedback...!

Yours is very welcome, cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great shout, cheers Don! managed to get the nut off, not yet tried the arm itself!

Don, do you know if, once I have removed fixings from the wiper motor on the inside from the bodywork, will the spindle and mech just 'slide' out?

I have the dreaded "rust around the spindle on the bodywork" issue and worried the spindle/mech is somehow rusted to the tailgate!
:)
cheers
mike

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
great shout, cheers Don! managed to get the nut off, not yet tried the arm itself!

Don, do you know if, once I have removed fixings from the wiper motor on the inside from the bodywork, will the spindle and mech just 'slide' out?

I have the dreaded "rust around the spindle on the bodywork" issue and worried the spindle/mech is somehow rusted to the tailgate!
:)
cheers
mike
It will take some "encouraging", I used a hammer and vise lol.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,576 Posts
Mike,

Never done one. Looks like lots of release oil or WD40 required. :biggrin:

1) Remove rear wiper arm.
<Ref. to WW-19, REMOVAL, Rear Wiper Arm.>
2) Remove rear gate lower trim. <Ref. to EI-42
REMOVAL, Rear Gate Trim.>
3) Unclip clip of harness and disconnect connector
of wiper motor.
4) Loosen bolts to remove wiper motor assembly.
CAUTION:
Be careful not to damage O-ring when removing
wiper motor assembly.

B: INSTALLATION S902532A11
1) Install in the reverse order of removal.

Not sure where O-ring is situated, but probably in face of pivot cap ??

Seems like a good thread...............
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/rear-wiper-mechanism-26785/

Reading through it, it looks as if its release oil and "gentle" persuasion :icon_eek:

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
found it at last!

Thanks everyone! If I had learned the nuances of the search function (i.e. search from the front page and not the europe section), I would've found this a lot quicker!

Great thread from huck this, thanks man! Appears to be the first 'universal' subaru part I've found!

Wish me luck!

Don, I believe the O-Ring refes to the small rubber 'grommet'/dressing that sits between the base of the arm and the bodywork. Why I have no idea - maybe makes it look better? Subaru made an error here IMHO and should've had it come through the glass (for a 170 degree sweep) like equivelant cars of that time. SF5 is quite dated now. But still a great piece of engineering!

Mike

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Just to note, you will need to fully dissemble the motor gears to properly re-lube and get the rust off of the shaft, once again penetrating oil and a hammer are handy.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

I've been applying a LOT of penetrating oil over past week and still no joy removing the arm from the spindle. I am conscious that pulling on it is also applying lateral force through the motor which is fixed to the (rusty) body; not a good thing to be doing.

I will remove the rear trim later and have a look from that side, then probably swallow the cost of a wiper arm remover.

Here's what we're dealing with - the nut has been un-siezed, but the arm refuses to budge, even with persistent manual force:

IMG_0509.jpg

the close upo makes it look worse than it is :icon_redface: . You can see the poor spraying around the rear glass trim, which itself has been cut (to remove the glass) some time ago. The rubber cap was also covered in overspray/touch up when I acquired the car. Hope the rust ain't too bad...

mike

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
I can't say i've done it on a suby, but I have used a battery terminal puller to get wiper arms off before. you can find them in a variety of styles, so some might fit better than others.

btw that rust does look pretty bad. hope the sheet metal is in decent shape. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers woody.

re the rust, I know; I am beginning to looking for a replacement tailgate in the same colour from a UK breaker is looking more promising. It's in poor shape all round really... :(

·
Registered
2001 Forester
7 Posts
Same boat here. (Car is an '01, and I live where they apply heavy salt to roads in winter. Eventually all cars rust out here) Rust around the wiper area and the rubber seal around the window shows rust. I'll end up buying a whole new tailgate at some point.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, i tried sourcing a replacement tailgate, and no joy from the usual sources in colour 01G (Subaru Premium/Platinum Silver) for my MY01 'part new-age'. Found a red one rust free for 75 quid but after a spray it's 150 quid, so I will repair the existing bodywork in the meantime. If I still have the car in 5 years(!) then I'll replace the tailgate!

So I got the nut and the arm off today :woohoo: with a removal tool and the arm popped off relatively cleanly with a resounding 'crack'. Thought I'd stripped the pattern on the end of the spindle that the arm grips but all still OK. The actual spindle itself loks prety clean and no rust visible yet. Still have to remove inner trim to get at the motor from the back.

After refitting the arm, there is now further play in the spindle. Seems like this job will be one of things things on an older car where the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really applies!

More later....

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
well, i tried sourcing a replacement tailgate, and no joy from the usual sources in colour 01G (Subaru Premium/Platinum Silver) for my MY01 'part new-age'. Found a red one rust free for 75 quid but after a spray it's 150 quid, so I will repair the existing bodywork in the meantime. If I still have the car in 5 years(!) then I'll replace the tailgate!

So I got the nut and the arm off today :woohoo: with a removal tool and the arm popped off relatively cleanly with a resounding 'crack'. Thought I'd stripped the pattern on the end of the spindle that the arm grips but all still OK. The actual spindle itself loks prety clean and no rust visible yet. Still have to remove inner trim to get at the motor from the back.

After refitting the arm, there is now further play in the spindle. Seems like this job will be one of things things on an older car where the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really applies!

More later....
Glad to hear it's off. I can tell you though, the if it aint broke dont fix it thing doesn't work with corrosion on cars. Once something start to corrode you better fix it or it will break inevitably. I opened mine up because my wiper got slower and slower until one day it stopped lol.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
9 Posts
Removing A rear wiper motor 1999 L series

Hello everyone and thanks for all the info on how to do this in the other threads. I am posting a video that I did on youtube on how to remove the rear wiper motor in a 1999 Forester. Need a 10mm socket, a Phillips screwdriver, and possibly a wiper blade puller.

Check it out and feel free to drop any comments.

watch?v=I_pUK4uQ0o0

Removing a rear wiper motor in a 1999 Subaru Forester

Scooby Drew

·
Registered
2003 Forester SX 5 MT
1 Posts
AHHMulmur

Hello,
I recognise the subject of rear window wiper assembly has been addressed previously for a number of models but I'm wondering if anyone has found a source for actual motor replacement components - the brush assembly on mine, as well as the commutator on the motor needs work.
I've removed, cleaned and relubed the wiper arm shaft. There is no obvious wear on the 'toothed items' - shaft gear, rack, rack drive gear and worm.
I hate to junk servicable components.
Thanks for any help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts