Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right. This noise coming from the rear of my car sounds like a knocking. As I said before It happens when turning right under acceleration, it also happens when going in a straight line under hard acceleration. I am thinking it could be a wheel bearing, does this sound like wheel bearing prob? I am hoping i can diagnose this problem without resorting to a garage and I dont know anyone with a Subaru who could advise me.

·
Registered
1999 (UKDM) S-Turbo (LT) 4EAT
217 Posts
Is it a constant knocking, increasing with wheel revolution speed, or just a clunk type of knock as if going over bumps?

Fozzy rear wheel bearings usually whine.

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it a clunk that increases with speed and yes it does knock going over bumps. I have been thinking of replacing all suspension bushing. I know nothing about bushings. Would someone be kind enough to give me a list of all bushings so I can take to the motor factors.

·
Registered
03 x
386 Posts
i would check the brake pads in there holders if they are overly loose they can cause this noise you are hearing. they may need to be shimmed

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,978 Posts
Most likely culprit ARB bush or maybe trailing arm bush. Lay under the back, reach up and grab the ARB and wiggle it up and down, If moves = new bushes needed. Car needs to have the wheels on the ground.

Trailing arm harder to diagnose because there's so much weight on it all the time but try putting a big flat screwdriver (and I mean big) between the trailing arm and where it bolts up to on the chassis and see if you can move the trailing arm side to side. A little bit is OK but if you can move it so that the bush seems to slide sideways = new bush.

Both will make the car feel nicer to drive even if they're not dead so long as you get powerflex or whiteline or something not stock which are soggy crap.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,443 Posts
Could be a wheel bearing.

I've just had both my rears done.

Knocking sound gone, as is the headache.

regards

AM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts