Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Subaru forester had the rear wheel bearings replaced on both sides at 198xxx by a local car shop. I'm now around 221xxx and the rear bearing on the driver side is clearly going out again. When I turn right the whirring noise gets louder and sometimes even knocks a small amount.

I did some research and understand the repair procedure, but why would the wheel bearing retire after such low mileage? Are there other parts like the knuckle or hub and drum assembly that need replacing on top of the bearing and seals?

Thanks

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
If the shop doing the job does not have the special tools needed the knukle, bearing or both can be damaged during the process and cause this premature wear.

Its best to find a good used knuckle at this time. Look at ebay sometimes you could get one really cheap with low mileage and not rusty. a lot of years are compatible not only forester but legacy, outback and impreza use same knuckle. There might be some minor difference that you might have to research yourself.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Automatic
52 Posts
Somebody replaced the rear passenger wheel bearing in my car before I bought it...the only reason I knew was because it failed again and when I took it apart I saw they cut into the hub in a few spots when removing a race. The proceeded to smooth out the edges of the cuts and some of the surrounding area by sanding, which no doubt left the hub shaft too far out of round. That's always a possibility. Anyway, they're pretty easy to do yourself. You have to buy the hub kit at harbor freight and borrow a puller from autozone, but it shouldn't be bad since it was just apart 20k ago.

I also think aftermarket axles can lead to this kind of thing more often, just FYI. The factory axles have a dust shield that the aftermarket ones may not. Just something to consider, even though you still have 2 seals for the dirt to get through.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I bought an oem hub and oem bearing from Subaru and plan on replacing them both when I get them. I also called the shop that did both rear bearing replacements and the owner informed me that they didn't use OEM bearings, but they did use bearings that are made for a bunch of different makes of car. Makes me sick that a professional shop would use some random cheap bearings. Anyways...

I will look for a knuckle and see if I can price one fairly cheap. I have a head gasket and a clutch to replace so I have other disappearing money on my mind...

I guess I will see if there is any abnormal wear when I tear things apart!

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Automatic
52 Posts
I honestly wouldn't worry about finding a hub, just measure it with a micrometer for variance in the horizontal and vertical directions at an inner and outer location. Buy or borrow a decent one for cheap if you don't have one. You just might avoid having to replace the hub or knuckle.

I wouldn't go cheap on the bearings either. My dealership gave me mine for $64.99, less than autozone wanted. And the Timken one from autozone was a ballbearing, not roller like the updated Subaru ones. I don't remember who made the Subaru one, koyo comes to mind though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts