Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Subaru Forester Rear-View Backup camera Install.

As part of my car PC install I am installing a rear-view camera. The camera can interface to either a USB capture card on the PC, or the LCD screen directly.

-----------------

If you look real close to image above you might be able to detect the rear-view camera near the Subaru logo.

-----------------

The camera is a tiny water proof camera specifically designed for use as a rear-view camera. It has a 25-foot video cord, 12-foot fused power cord, and a wire that enables and disabled mirrored image mode. It is mirrored by default.
It has a 120degree viewing angle and works well in low-light.

The model is PC228 from SuperCircuits.com
They are also a local Austin company who I have used for years:
Micro weatherproof color CCD camera

-----------------

I started by removing the trim from the lift gate. I used the service manual to help guide most of the trim removal.

-----------------

Then the rear-external trim that has the Subaru logo.

-----------------

I then removed the plastic component from the trim piece.

-----------------

The camera would perfectly fit onto a blank area of the plastic.
I drilled two holes for the screws, and dremeled away a half-hole for the video cord.
I then mounted the camera, it comes with a double-adhesive piece to help seal the screw holes.

-----------------

The camera has a small electronics box about 4-inches up the cord that I mounted inside the plastic trim.

-----------------

The camera wire was passed though the rubber grommet that connects the rest of the electronics in the rear-trim.

-----------------

I put all the external trim back together. The camera is so small that when standing behind the card it is hard to detect unless you look for it. It is also weather proofed, and I didn't drill any rust-prone holes in any of the cars' metal.

-----------------

The camera wire was turn routed towards the left hand side of the car.
There are several unused wire holders on this side that help to ensure the wire is routed without interfering with any trim.

-----------------

The camera wire is then routed though the left-hand weather boot. There isn't much room inside the right hand boot, the left has only the tube carrying the rear-wiper fluid.
This part was particularly frustrating to get apart, wire pushed through, and put back together.

-----------------

The power wire for the camera is routed to the rear-accessory power socket.
The video wire is run along the back of the roof liner. Sorry, I forgot to take images of routing those wires.
Shown here the video wire is routed through the passenger side rear-trim. There are several other wires inside that you can run along. I recommend you constantly bind the video wire to the existing bundled wires such that you don't get any noise from the cable vibrating against a surface.

Also not shown is the video cable routed along the rest of the passenger side trim and behind the glovebox. However once yous tart following the rest of the bundled cables it is pretty easy to find a a good route.

-----------------

The LCD screen needs a +12volts reverse signal to tell it that the car is actually in reverse gear.
Using the service manual I was able to locate this right near the glovebox. Behind a trim panel near in the passenger foot-well. The signal you need is a Brown with Yellow striped wire that is located on the largest connector in the lower-bundle of connectors.
I validated this signal with a multi-meter before tapping into it. This is the same wire that sends power to the reversing lights.

-----------------

The rear-view camera is now fully wired to the LCD screen.
The image shown is my driveway on a overcast day.
The second image is a screenshot from the USB capture card I installed with the car PC.
The LCD is a LCDFR-701 (Lilliput LED lit) from ByByte.com

-----------------

If you are interested in the rest of my car PC install the project log it located here:
Austin Modders - Forums-viewtopic-Subaru Forester Car PC

Larger versions of the images are located on flickr here:
Subaru Forester - a set on Flickr

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
wow awesome write up, I haven't installed mine yet but this will definitely help. Do you have any help/advice on removing the rear trim inside the car? I removed the liftgate trim before but haven't removed the trim inside the car and this is the main thing holding me back from doing the install.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One: Get the 72-hour service manual subscription here:Subaru Technical Information System - Home
Two: Download every wiring and trim PDF you can find.
They are a huge help as some pieces of trim have odd instructions or a screw in a odd spot, even if the rest is all pull-tabs.

As far as the back-top side trim, remove the screws behind the hanger hooks, the cargo-cover spots, and then pull along the edges to release the tabs.
The only one I ever had trouble with was the bottom footwell trim on the front passanger side, one tab just got caught the wrong way and wouldn't come out.

Also, if you loose one of the little round pull tabs I found that Lowe's carries them in their odd-parts bin.

·
Registered
2009 Forrester XT
2 Posts
This is a great post, thanks for taking the time.

Any idea if you can use this type of cam with the stock NAV system? I got the NAV from the dealer but I am not interested in having the dealer install the cam, though I do think there is a spot on the bumper trim for a cam.

-great work!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
36 Posts
The LCD screen needs a +12volts reverse signal to tell it that the car is actually in reverse gear.
Using the service manual I was able to locate this right near the glovebox. Behind a trim panel near in the passenger foot-well. The signal you need is a Brown with Yellow striped wire that is located on the largest connector in the lower-bundle of connectors.
I validated this signal with a multi-meter before tapping into it. This is the same wire that sends power to the reversing lights.
how did you validate the signal? what did you connect to for ground?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how did you validate the signal? what did you connect to for ground?
1) The service manual
2) I inserted a multimeter pin inserted into the connector and put the car into reverse, the meter showed +12 in reverse, 0 in forward.

The circuit the +12 signal is going to is grounded to the radio wiring harness ground.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium 5MT
31 Posts
Thanks for this thread!

Hello,
I just wanted to say thanks for this excellent thread. It was very useful in the installation of my back-up camera. I especially appreciated knowing which wire to tap for the reverse signal. I did confirm it with my DMM prior to connecting.

I purchased a CCD camera from eBay which replaces one of the license plate lights. I really like how well it blends in with the trim. The image is pretty good in the daytime. I haven't seen a night view yet. It was a bit challenging to get the wires through the hatch grommet, but eventually I figured out to remove the whole assembly to pull the wires through.

Beware of cheap versions of this camera on ebay. There are CMOS models, which all seem to have a grid overlay to estimate distance to your bumper. I chose the more expensive (about $60 shipped) CCD model, which does not include a grid overlay, and should improve image quality. Be sure to shop for NTSC format, otherwise the video signal will not be compatible with US video screens.

Here are a few photos of the final result.
-B

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium 5MT
31 Posts
If anybody else follows these instructions, take care when removing the rear hatch trim (with the subaru logo). There are three nuts hidden under the rear wiper mount, which are a bit tricky to access. The center one has a long bolt which necessitates a deep socket to turn it. Be careful not to lose the nuts into the door as there are some places they may get trapped in the sheet metal. Luckily, the door opens upwards, which helps keep them from falling too far down.

I also had trouble with the panel covering the passenger door sill. It attaches in a very strange way, which makes it tricky to remove without stressing the plastic.

Also, can anybody tell me the right way to remove the black connector at the floor near the passengers feet? I mangled this plastic bolt for a while before it broke off. It doesn't seem to have any mechanism for releasing the post it is pressed on. How is this supposed to be removed? Photo attached.

thanks,
B

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium 5MT
31 Posts
Bargonaut - Very nice install as well. Do you have a link of the camera you got off of ebay?
Thanks!
Here is the item I bought, the seller re-listed their supply.
SHARP CCD SUBARU FORESTER & Impreza Rear Car Camera - eBay (item 270645978832 end time Nov-06-10 09:49:57 PDT)

There appear to be many similar items for sale. Just be sure you pick
a model that has NTSC video (not PAL). Also, the CCD sensor costs more, but
has better low-light quality than CMOS. I can say I am impressed with the
quality of the image at night. With just the reverse lights to back-up,
the camera has an excellent image. The model I chose has 0.5lux sensitivity, which means it works with very little light.

The camera shipped from China, but it only took about a week by standard mail. And, that was during a national Chinese holiday.

-B

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium 5spd
22 Posts
Zapwizard, Did you have to splice any wires in the rear cigarette lighter outlet for power? Or does the camera just plug into it directly?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts