Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear tires are continually cupping on the outside of the tires which are creating a roar sound. I have had two four wheel alignments done by a locally reputable shop (by my location's standards, not a dealer). I did a search online on tire cupping and it was mentioned that bent or worn suspension parts are often the culprit. I got the car with 89,000 miles on it and it now has 145,000. I have not done any off roading. The other possibility according to the Haynes manual is the possibility of worn bearings. When I put the rear tires to the front then it roars up there and begins to cup the ones put to the rear. Need to get this fixed, don't think my tires are going to hold up very long.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
You mentioned worn suspension parts... have the struts been replaced, ever? Worn/blown struts are often the culprit for cupped tires.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
I agree, at that mileage I'd suspect the struts need to be replaced all round.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
Check for leaking on the strut but just because it's not leaking does not mean it's still OK.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
It's likely the struts but also check for any bent or worn suspension links ie: lateral links and trailing arms. Excessive play in any of the bushings can cause issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts