Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if my rear sway bar is in good condition, I had a shop tell me they were bad and they quote 530 for replacement.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
As long as the mounts/bushings, bar itself, end links are all in good shape it is OK.

If any of those items are broken/damaged, replace that item. OEM items can be found cheap used via the for sale section.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,722 Posts
The rear sway bar is very easy to change out & I can't see much going wrong with it, other than the mounts. A factory/OEM should be cheap used. I pretty much gave away the stock ones off my '03 X, just charged for shipping. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Unless it's rusted really deep (or actually broken/cracked), there i's not much else that can hurt it. There can, however, be problems with worn bushings or broken mounts or endlinks.

As was pointed out earlier, it's cheap and easy to replace DIY (get 17mm bar, you will not regret that). And if you do not want that, you can just forget it completely - you 14mm rear bar does not do much anyway ;)

·
Registered
1999 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya trying to fix it myself would probably be best, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2005 FXT
36 Posts
Buy, beg or steal to get an STi rear bar. I put one on my '05 XT about a year ago & I cannot believe how much better it is. No change in harshness, but every turn is more crisp. I squished the larger bar into the stock XT bushings. It took about a hour, but mostly getting two rusty bolts loose. I did loosen the muffler hanger. It did 'clunk' for a day or two until I got it properly centered. Ever since then, perfect. Best single mod I have ever made to any car.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Buy, beg or steal to get an STi rear bar. I put one on my '05 XT about a year ago & I cannot believe how much better it is. No change in harshness, but every turn is more crisp.
2OP: Ignore that post, as you cannot use STI bar on you Forester (1999). The only OEM bars that will fit rear are from 02-03 WRX sedan (20mm) or wagon (17mm). Unless you know what you're doing and/or set to send quite a bit of time and money, go with the latter - it provides a good balanced handling that even an "average" driver should be able to... well, handle.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya thats what I figured, he quoted me 155 for spark plugs lol. 12$ at shucks and 45min to install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts