Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where you can get a 20mm Rear Sway Bar for a My06 Forester here in Oz?

I know I can order one from www.subarugenuineparts.com for $102 USD, but I think shipping could be a killer!

Any ideas? Or anyone have one they want to sell, or know someone who does?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Get a Whiteline one, www.whiteline.com.au is the site, they are sold at heaps of places. You need a BSR35, or you could go for the 22mm adjustable BSR35Z. It would also be a good idea to get the heavy duty links and mounts, not sure on their product numbers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it really worth buying from Whiteline, considering it will be close to $250 inc. GST and shipping??? I could get the same from the US for close to less, including all the fittings!??

G

·
I live in the U.S. and I was wondering about ordering a whitleline rear sway bar, is whiteline a good company??? Or should I order the one from Subaru?Thanx

G

·
Griffo said:
Is it really worth buying from Whiteline, considering it will be close to $250 inc. GST and shipping??? I could get the same from the US for close to less, including all the fittings!??
Hi Griffo.....

The Whiteline gear is available at places like Repco and Supercheap - sometimes at a better price than from Whiteline themselves - just depends on the bits you are after and the timing... In any case, the Whiteline rear sway bar will be worth every cent you pay for it the first time you drive your car fitted with it. The forums are littered with comments from very knowledgeable people indicating that it is just about the best bang for your buck improvement you can do to your Forrie. I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert but I do know what a difference this mod made to my Forrie. As CrazyOldGuy said "It would also be a good idea to get the heavy duty links and mounts". Definitely do that... You will not be sorry...

Regards
Ron.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
20mm or 22mm??

I'm not sure which size to go. I want to tighten the rear end up a bit, but not too much.

According to Whitelines diameter conversion chart
(http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/010barup.pdf), to go from 17mm to 20mm gives approx 92% increase in torsion, while to go from 17mm to 22mm gives approx 180% increase in torsion!!!!

There is a bit difference! This Forester is mainly used as a family car, with the occasional long highway drive. Is the 22mm sway going to far and/or is the 20mm not going far enough???

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Griffo said:
20mm or 22mm??

I'm not sure which size to go. I want to tighten the rear end up a bit, but not too much.

(http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/010barup.pdf), to go from 17mm to 20mm gives approx 92% increase in torsion, while to go from 17mm to 22mm gives approx 180% increase in torsion!!!!

There is a bit difference! This Forester is mainly used as a family car, with the occasional long highway drive. Is the 22mm sway going to far and/or is the 20mm not going far enough???

Get the 22mm as it is adjustable you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm...according to the Whiteline brochure. http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/catalogues/WL_02c.pdf

For the SG X & XS models you can get the BSR35 (20mm) and BSR35X (22mm heavy duty) models

For the SG XT model you can get the same as above PLUS the BSR35Z (22mm adjustable).

As I have the XS and not the XT, what is the difference in what sway bars you can supposedly use???

G

·
Griffo said:
Hmmm...according to the Whiteline brochure. http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/catalogues/WL_02c.pdf

For the SG X & XS models you can get the BSR35 (20mm) and BSR35X (22mm heavy duty) models

For the SG XT model you can get the same as above PLUS the BSR35Z (22mm adjustable).

As I have the XS and not the XT, what is the difference in what sway bars you can supposedly use???
Hi Griffo,

I have the 22mm adjustable version but I also have the XT. If you are concerned about how stiff the different types of bars will be then go to http://www.suspensionparts.info/ and post a question to Whiteline themselves. They would be able to tell you what would be better for your XS and the type of driving you wish to do. Hope it helps mate.

Regards
Ron.

G

·
Repco quoted me about $170 for a Whiteline 20mm which I will be getting soon.
They also advised that the standard endlinks etc should be fine and just to keep an eye on them, but think I will just do everything at once.

G

·
My MY04 XT has the 24mm rear sway bar installed - within a very short time, a mount broke and within 15000km, the bracket on the control arm into which the link is mounted also broke and I only drive on sealed roads.

I strongly suggest that you get at least the HD mounts and hope that within the next few months Whiteline do a proper development on the rest of the rear setup, although with the smaller bar, you may not have the same problems.

pc

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Griffo said:
20mm or 22mm??

Not sure about AUS cars but the USDM rear sway is 17MM HOLLOW. So I don't know if Whiteline's charts take that into account. Most people here go with the 20MM STi bar with stock or slightly stiffer and lower suspension.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Griffo and Ron, maybe you (and others) can help me with a few queries.Have noticed my 06 XT is not as poised as I'd like when cornering hard.there's just a bit too much body roll and loss of grip.Checked out Whiteline site but think your comments will be more useful to me.Qu's:
1 is the stock bar 17mm?
2 surely a 90% improvement with a 20mm bar is enough without disrupting the stock springs and shocks setup?
3why have an adjustable- once fitted have you ever seen the need to adjust it?
4 once fitted ,is there any discernable difference in day to day driving or is it only noticeable in hard cornering?
5 approx. fitting costs?
6any downsides-wear on other suspension parts etc?If the handling improvement is so obvious and the cost so low, why doesn't Subaru fit a bigger bar as stock?

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
1 - You might want to check - I believe the MY06 came with a bigger rear bar than the 04/05.

2+3 - thats why you get adjustable, so you can set it to how you like!

5 - Fitting is easy, could do it yourself but shouldnt cost much if you get someone else to do it.

6a - Damage - I believe its just to the swaybar system itself (ie mounts) not to the rest of the suspension.

6b - They dont fit a bigger bar because most manufacturers like to dial in plenty of understeer as thats the safest option is you overcook a corner.

·
Registered
653 Posts
1 - You might want to check - I believe the MY06 came with a bigger rear bar than the 04/05.

2+3 - thats why you get adjustable, so you can set it to how you like!

5 - Fitting is easy, could do it yourself but shouldnt cost much if you get someone else to do it.

6a - Damage - I believe its just to the swaybar system itself (ie mounts) not to the rest of the suspension.

6b - They dont fit a bigger bar because most manufacturers like to dial in plenty of understeer as thats the safest option is you overcook a corner.
thanks DN.What about no. 4? Also why do you say understeer is safer than oversteer?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts