Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People with upgraded RSB end links (of any type), make sure you check to see how close the end of the bolt holding the top of the link to the bar gets to the bolt on the banjo fitting for the rear caliper's brake line. I've noticed that in some cases it gets very close and can even hit each other. The way to test this is have the car on the ground and raise the car putting a jack under the rear diff. Keep going till the wheels almost come off the ground. Watch the links as they travel through their arc. Look at both sides, one may be closer than the other, depending on how well the RSB is centered. I've noticed this with a couple of links and just want people to be aware of it for safety sake. I'll post pics later to show what I mean, I don't have them handy right now. Since upgraded links tend to be wider and have a bolt on the end things get very tight under there. The thing is you really won't know till you jack up the rear while watching. The links articulate in such a way that they go right by the bolt.

Just a heads up, I'd be interested in everyone's results that tries this, if you could post it here that would be great. Include your suspension set-up and link type.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Pete,

I appears the by having the endlink on the outboard side of the sway bar the end link is at an angle causing the urethane bushing to distort and compress on the side between the bolt head and the loc nut. Would this be reduce by moving end link to the other (inboard) side of the sway bar? Something like this orientation:

(outboard of drivers side looking from rear) bolt head/sway bar/lock nut/end link/nut (inboard side)

This orientation seems like it would also increase clearance between the banjo bolt and the end link bolt head.

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think what you are saying is what I suggest too, put the link to the inside like the pic below. This pic happens to be a KB link but any wide link I'd do the same thing. The only thing different you are suggesting is insert the bolt in the other direction is all. Either way will work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
The second pic looks more mechanically correct. I'm curious as to what function the nut has that's between the link and the bar in the first pic?

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The nut is strictly a spacer, the threads have been drilled out. It gives the link room to swing left and right w/o hitting anything.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
PolTec Box Links and Cobb RSB has plenty of clearance, about 30cm on each side. The cobb bar is connected inside the links. Thanks for the heads-up Peaty.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Peaty said:
The nut is strictly a spacer, the threads have been drilled out. It gives the link room to swing left and right w/o hitting anything.
Ah yes. I can see where the link may have rubbed up against the bar without it. Unfortunately, it appears that this is the reason the bolt is so close to the bleeder.

The Kartboy link appears to be more in line with what I'd think was ideal.

Thanks.

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
I just got my Kartboys today and was checking clearence. There is plenty of room with stock parts. Not sure if about the aftermarket set up, but I will shortly... :twisted:

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Do I need to get collars to go with the Sti bar and kartboy links?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Galager said:
Do I need to get collars to go with the Sti bar and kartboy links?
according to Tom @ Kartboy... their endlink will center the RSB, and limit it from walking. Thus, no collars would be required.

You will more than likely also require the mo_boost enlink weldment reinforcement or some other solution to avoid the endlink tabs from breaking due to the bigger STi RSB

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Just had my tires rotated and the mechanic pulls me out to show me all the brake fluid that has spilled all over my rear left caliper because the endlink bolt was hitting the caliper.

Has anyone that put the links on the inside had any issues? Does putting the link inside cause any structural weaknesses?

·
Got a quiet car? No? Contact me :-)
96 Tacoma
765 Posts
Inboard mounting will cause the swaybar to have more leverage on the lateral link, just pointing that out:)

I have the Cobb rear bar, adjustable aluminum mounts, STI lateral links and Kartboy endlinks.

The next time I am at Cobb we are going to compare an STI bar and the Forester bar to see if there is a difference as things do not line up so well now. Sorry no pics, maybe I can post some if I decide to change sway bars.

I used a 3/4" bronze bushing to get a more verticle and more aligned link setup but it was way to close to the banjo bolt and there was just enough movement that it did touch it, once, backing out of the drive way. Back in, back up on stands, jacked the suspension up on both sides, went with a temp solution of washers(1/2") and no problems now but I do not like the links leaning over so much on the lateral link mounts.

On the STI laterals it looks like the links will hit the bars if mounted on the inside and it does not fix the misaligned angle issue at all.

An aluminum wedge could be made to make things a bit better but that is still a band aid and I want things to be right.

By the way, the Kartboy links made a remarkable improvement in handling over the OEM links:)

Rick

·
30 Meters
2006 XTi - VF39 Protune!
5,892 Posts
If the bushings and material are stronger,the response will be stronger.

IMO it makes the whole sway bar setup react quicker than OEM.

·
Registered
2006 XT
60 Posts
Just for your interest, the following was quoted on an Australian site. This was in relation to the Whiteline endlinks, and may be different for other brands; It is a quote from a representative of the company

"The rear swaybar link is to be mounted on the outside (wheel side) of both the swaybar & the lower control arm mounting bracket.

Cheers,
Wayne C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flatout with Whiteline Automotive"

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think anyone would disagree that is where the link is supposed to be. That's where they put it when they built the vehicle. However, if there is a possibility of the bolt hitting the brake banjo bolt, it would be safer to move them to the inside. I've been driving with mine like that since I made this thread almost a year ago and have noticed no ill effects.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I don't think anyone would disagree that is where the link is supposed to be. That's where they put it when they built the vehicle. However, if there is a possibility of the bolt hitting the brake banjo bolt, it would be safer to move them to the inside. I've been driving with mine like that since I made this thread almost a year ago and have noticed no ill effects.
Agreed.

Before I upgraded my brakes to the 06 WRX (larger rotor diameter, my endlink bolt was hitting the banjo bolt. Enough that it loosened the bolt and I as leaking brake fluid on the rear drivers' side. The passenger side was loose as well. I immediately switched the endlinks to the outside and installed Mo_Boost endlink supports. I guess I could switch them back now that my calipers are out of the way, but I haven't had any problems so Idont' see a reason to do it.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT
144 Posts
Hi there,

I hope you can help me here as well as on over other forums..... :cool:

Inboard mounting will cause the swaybar to have more leverage on the lateral link, just pointing that out:)
I have the Cobb rear bar, adjustable aluminum mounts, STI lateral links and Kartboy endlinks.

The next time I am at Cobb we are going to compare an STI bar and the Forester bar to see if there is a difference as things do not line up so well now. Sorry no pics, maybe I can post some if I decide to change sway bars.
I used a 3/4" bronze bushing to get a more verticle and more aligned link setup but it was way to close to the banjo bolt and there was just enough movement that it did touch it, once, backing out of the drive way. Back in, back up on stands, jacked the suspension up on both sides, went with a temp solution of washers(1/2") and no problems now but I do not like the links leaning over so much on the lateral link mounts.
On the STI laterals it looks like the links will hit the bars if mounted on the inside and it does not fix the misaligned angle issue at all.
An aluminum wedge could be made to make things a bit better but that is still a band aid and I want things to be right.
By the way, the Kartboy links made a remarkable improvement in handling over the OEM links:)

Rick
What KartBoy endlinks are you referring to, exactly??

These ones here?

http://www.allwheelengineering.com/basket/catalog.cgi?query_net_id=kartboy&query_class=KB-017

Cheers,

MO

·
30 Meters
2006 XTi - VF39 Protune!
5,892 Posts
Agreed.

Before I upgraded my brakes to the 06 WRX (larger rotor diameter, my endlink bolt was hitting the banjo bolt. Enough that it loosened the bolt and I as leaking brake fluid on the rear drivers' side. The passenger side was loose as well. I immediately switched the endlinks to the outside and installed Mo_Boost endlink supports. I guess I could switch them back now that my calipers are out of the way, but I haven't had any problems so Idont' see a reason to do it.
Same here. I was wondering why when my Forester was a month old I was getting the 'Brake' light.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts