Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok.

my car has been sat for about a month (been out of the country)

driven car around all weekend (motorway driving) and have blown both rear SLS shocks... oil everywhere!

So... i have been looking at the sticky thread at the top of the page, to see what i need to convert my car from "SLS" to "NON-SLS"

I have some standard KYB shocks.... problem is i dont know what the part number is (no stickers or stamps on the shocks at all) but they do fit on the car. so, my first step would be to find the right "NON-SLS" springs

This link was posted by Don but it seems there are 3 choices, all for the same year car. does anybody know what the difference is between the 3 part numbers for the rear (RR) springs

RA5761
RA5762
RA5763

Coil Spring | Subaru Forester 2.0000 2000 | BuyPartsBy

Can anybody recommend the right ones? 1997 - Ttb

Thanks in advance

Frazer

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts
As per mdg's original post..........
Default KYB excel-g part numbers for SF.
SHOCKS. (non SLS):-
FR-KY334189
FL-KY334190
RR-KY334191
RL-KY334192

SPRING. (non SLS):-
Front R&L-RC2315
Rear R&L-RA5761

KYB – Online Catalogue for Shock Absorbers, Coil Springs and Kits
Last edited by mdg : 07-02-2009 at 06:24 PM.

And as per Rally58man..........

I have ordered KYB rear struts 334191/334192 and springs RA5761
£222.95 Inc post from Autoparts warehouse 0845 300 8011

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don,

I had read these posts but was wondering what the differences were between the 3 springs listed for the rear. could it be ride hight, or heavy duty springs? they all seem to say the same thing

Frazer

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts
Thanks Don,

I had read these posts but was wondering what the differences were between the 3 springs listed for the rear. could it be ride hight, or heavy duty springs? they all seem to say the same thing

Frazer
From the latest catalogue..................
RA5761 - nonSLS, RA5763 - SLS (turbo and N/A)

From earlier catalogue....................
RA5761- nonSLS,RA5762 - SLS (N/A), RA5763 - SLS (Turbo)

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you want my ASTs.
Fpan, thanks for the offer

Im not really sure what ASTs are (im assuming adjustable suspension of some description)

im not really looking to lower the car, i would rather lift it up than drop it down, as i carry a far bit of weight in the back with all my tools. can you give me some more info on them.

Thanks

Frazer

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts
Fpan, thanks for the offer

Im not really sure what ASTs are (im assuming adjustable suspension of some description)

im not really looking to lower the car, i would rather lift it up than drop it down, as i carry a far bit of weight in the back with all my tools. can you give me some more info on them.

Thanks

Frazer
As fitted to many FSTi's in place of OEM (but not NorthdownsScooby :icon_wink:) and a few others :biggrin:
AST Suspension UK - Advanced Suspension Technology United Kingdom

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo
149 Posts
hi there just done mine got my springs of ebay about £38 each + £5.00 pp for the pair my car was 15" from centre of wheel to wheel arch now its 17 1/2" give the bolts at the bottom of the struts a goog socking with wd40 then wiyh a good ring spanner and lots of ooowwwww off they will come. also remember the nuts on the top of your struts may not be the same as the kybs make sure you have the nuts to fit your kyb first.
Cheers jack

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi there just done mine got my springs of ebay about £38 each + £5.00 pp for the pair my car was 15" from centre of wheel to wheel arch now its 17 1/2" give the bolts at the bottom of the struts a goog socking with wd40 then wiyh a good ring spanner and lots of ooowwwww off they will come. also remember the nuts on the top of your struts may not be the same as the kybs make sure you have the nuts to fit your kyb first.
Cheers jack
Thanks Rallyman,

I emailed the guy off ebay thats selling the springs.

the shocks should be easy to come off, i only did them last year Simon (the Rookie) sent me the SLS struts, because i already had KYBs on but had the SLS springs, so it was seriously saggy at the back. ( it was like that wahen i bought it)

Im gonna put the KYBs back on, and try some standard springs.

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
I have asked this before, but does anyone have the specific bolt size for the two lower strut bolts? I measure them at 14mm thick with a 19mm nut?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts
I have asked this before, but does anyone have the specific bolt size for the two lower strut bolts? I measure them at 14mm thick with a 19mm nut?
As you say bolts are M14 with a 19mm head

The upper of the two front strut bolts is a special "camber" bolt.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK. parts ordered, should be here tomorrow morning, lets hope it fixes the problem!

does anybody know what the ride height should be at?

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Where would I get these bolts from? The subaru dealer site doesnt have them. The only other ones are expensive aftermarket ones.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fitted rear legs and springs last night....

What a difference!... The KYB RA5761 springs are so much stronger than the OEM SLS springs its un believable, a bit of a pain to fit because of the weight and size but well worth changing from the self levelers.

Just out of interest, does anybody know what the ride height is supposed to be? im quite suprised how much my car has lifted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts