Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XS A/T
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and gents, I really need some assistance and advice.
I've been having a few issues with my '05 XS/AT. When loaded (two adults in front, two adults in back and approx 50kg in load area) the rear suspension, particularly the right side feels as if it is bottoming out. Going over a small speed hump/bump and a low speed (20km/h), there is a really hard knock and it feels as if the tow bar is hitting the ground, which I know it isn't. I got the right rear shock replaced by the agents a week ago after experiencing the same problem. They reckoned that the shock had failed. The chances of having a shock failure again is fairly slim, isn't it? My feeling is that it might be the coil springs as it only has this issue when loaded.
If anyone has any ideas please help me out.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Time to do the rear struts! Don't forget to rent a spring compressor. Just did rear struts in a 2000 Hyundai Sonata and it required me to strip the rear interior almost completely (all that was left was headliner and carpet) to get at the upper mounting bolts.

Not a terribly hard job to do.

Edit: I see you had one strut replace, you should always replace them in pairs! (symmetrical)

Edit: Is this the same side you already has replaced?

·
Registered
2005 XS A/T
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does have SLS struts. That is the same side that they changed earlier. I purchased the vehicle at the beginning of Feb and the previous owner had them change it middle of Jan. I then took it to them first week in Mar. Luckily the part is still under warrantee so they have make good with the repair. I was also under the impression that the struts have to be replaced symmetrically but at 450 USD per strut (part only) I reckon they are smoking their socks and as such I'm looking for after market struts that I can replace them with. Any idea who ships to South Africa.

·
Registered
2005 XS A/T
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick one, hoping someone could help me out. One of the possible options to remedy the problem would be to replace the struts and even possibly the coil springs. I've been looking at "beefing up" the suspension a bit and put something a little sturdier on. What would the implications be of removing the SLS struts and putting something simpler but stronger on.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
Check the Anti Roll Bar and its endlinks, sometimes a lot of noise can come out of there. And, the cheapest way to go non SLS would be just to buy the springs and shock combo from the X model, or whatever trim line back in your country is the cheaper one

·
Registered
2005 XS A/T
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once again, thanks for the advice. I'm taking the car to the agent next week Tuesday for them to have a look at it and hopefully I'll get them to replace the right one at their expense. I'll then replace the left one at my cost and I'll get them to replace the coil springs at the same time just to make certain.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Automatic
28 Posts
Once again, thanks for the advice. I'm taking the car to the agent next week Tuesday for them to have a look at it and hopefully I'll get them to replace the right one at their expense. I'll then replace the left one at my cost and I'll get them to replace the coil springs at the same time just to make certain.
Did you get your suspension problems sorted? Just interested in the diagnosis as I need to work on mine too. My MY07 XT's rear left strut started leaking at just 25 000km. :icon_cry:

·
Registered
2006 X
36 Posts
Check the Anti Roll Bar and its endlinks, sometimes a lot of noise can come out of there. And, the cheapest way to go non SLS would be just to buy the springs and shock combo from the X model, or whatever trim line back in your country is the cheaper one
Definately check the sway bar. On the 04-08 model the sway bar has no retainer clamps that stop it moving from side to side in the body mounts. From the 08 onwards they do. Obviously a problem. Undo the sway bar mount so its loose, spray some rubber grease in there and tighen it back up, then try loading it up and see what happens.

from forums.nasioc.com

The big rubber thing the sway bar goes through is the mount :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts