Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that people here have replaced the sub in the rear cargo area with something of better quality. What are you useing and are you happy with it? I am looking to upgrade this.

Ben

·
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Peaty. Is there any part of a forester that you haven't taken apart/made better?

Ben

·
Registered
549 Posts
so you can just add any 6 x 9 into the stock sub location? I was told by an audio shop that it wouldnt fit with out modifications.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I doubt you will find any 6x9 that is too deep for the stock location. So in essence, you should be able to replace the stock sub with any 6x9. I can't see it being a great improvement though.

Frank

·
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links. It seems like a pretty simple task. Maybe later this week if I can get some "shoptime".

Ben

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I found an older used Kicker f69a, free air driver on a ebay last year. Sounds 10x better that stock IMO. The stock sub just rattled and sounded like [email protected] The kicker has a nice deep bass u can feel and still running from the stock head unit. Well worth my time and money, they go for cheap if u can still find one.

here goes a pdf link to the specs from kicker's site:

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/archive-manuals/Separates Series Competition and Freeair Drivers.pdf

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put a Vibe Exact8 300WRMS 8" sub in an 05 XT powered by an audison amp. Works fine up to about volume of 9 (of 40) on my std HU and then it started to rattle and over 20 it just shook the rear passenger side fixed window like there was no tomorrow. Stingered all over everything I could reach, changed the mounting board to 1" MDF and it still shook. Would needed to have trippled the stingering on the inside of the outside wall and welded something to the inside to strengthen it IMO to get a decent level of output. Ripped out the mounting plate and put the old 6x9 back into the same housing, and resealed. Better than stock but nothing on the Exact8.

Going to do something like this instead
http://forum.gtrydaz.com/showthread.php?t=6124

·
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brick said:
I would do something like that but I'd be taking it out and putting it back constantly. I have 2 young children and 2 big Great Dane dogs. The dogs can't go anywhere at the same time in the car with outthe back seat folded down.

Ben

·
Registered
859 Posts
Brick said:
I put a Vibe Exact8 300WRMS 8" sub in an 05 XT powered by an audison amp. Works fine up to about volume of 9 (of 40) on my std HU and then it started to rattle and over 20 it just shook the rear passenger side fixed window like there was no tomorrow. Stingered all over everything I could reach, changed the mounting board to 1" MDF and it still shook. Would needed to have trippled the stingering on the inside of the outside wall and welded something to the inside to strengthen it IMO to get a decent level of output. Ripped out the mounting plate and put the old 6x9 back into the same housing, and resealed. Better than stock but nothing on the Exact8.

If you build a sealed box in the stock location, you shouldn't get the vibrating from the back panel/window area. I'll be doing that with an old Kicker solobaric 8 I've got laying around. Been meaning to do it for a year now, but most of my time is spent wrenching.

Sound deadening is still required.

Frank

·
Registered
96 Posts
What about a bazooka? They sound great and are easily removable when need be.

·
Registered
2013 XT
1,686 Posts
When you pull out the 6x9 back there be careful of the metal edges the speaker mounts on. I barely touched the edge when i was putting my new 6x9 in and it cut my skin right down to the knuckle. Not fun. Take a file to the edge soon as you pull the old speaker out.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Turbo
162 Posts
I did the 6X9 Sub Install

I did not want to do all the cutting and modifying that is required on the 8 or 10 sub. So I just bought the Part Express 6x9 sub http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-837
and put in a Alpine 4/3/2 amp under the drivers seat. I bridged the second channel for the sub and ran the crossover at 125 from the head unit. I run the other two channels for the front Boston Acoustic's. I did not want to shake my family jewels as I listened to my music. I just wanted to feel and hear my music with my windows rolled down while I drive down the highway.

Here is what that the parts express sub looks like to the Subaru sub side by side.

Much larger magnet to withstand the power from the Alpine amp. I am pushing about 50 watts to it. at about 3/4 power and 5+ on the head unit.

New Sub mounted.
I had to use self tapping screws because the originals were in a different location. The sub hole was a little small so I just cut the excess away and shoved in the new sub.

The initial sound difference was amazing. I am so happy that I went with this solution. It is enough power and it totally hidden. Keeps my trunk available for all my bike racing gear. I don't have to worry about damaging my bike gear or my bike gear damaging my speakers or amps. Plus it was only $40 shipped to my door.

And my iPod has all my music so I am never looking for Cd's..

·
Registered
2008 forester
88 Posts
Can a x be fitted with the factory sub mounts

If i have the x with the rear pocket can i buy the factory grill assembly and will the mount for the 6x9 be there or will i have to buy that too.Also is the factory wiring already in the car prerun or will i have to run that also?:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Turbo
162 Posts
If i have the x with the rear pocket can i buy the factory grill assembly and will the mount for the 6x9 be there or will i have to buy that too.Also is the factory wiring already in the car prerun or will i have to run that also?:icon_rolleyes:
I dont know if the hole is behind the carpet if you dont already have the sub...

I ran a new section of wire from the amp that is mounted under the driver seat.

That is the blue wire. I could not find the stock sub wire at the head unit. I think it is a individual connection that is not part of the main wire harness.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,011 Posts
The wiring is NOT present in the X. WHen you remove the pocket you have the exact same opening the XT does but you are missing the 6x9 plate. You can order the speaker grill from Ben at HodgesSubaru for around $40, and for the 6x9 plate, and you should be able to find one pretty easy for cheap. I've sold over 30 stealth sub kits, so there are quite a few 6x9s and plates laying around.

I've added 8" subs to several X and XS models and I always make my own grill. Check this thread out for some info and pix...
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3540

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
You definitely need the Triple-S-K (Sea-Scooby-Sub-Kit). I'll be buttoning mine up soon. Just gotta get the grill and finish the wiring.

·
Registered
2005 X
27 Posts
I have a 2005 subaru forester X

I have the cargo pockets too. I currently have stock rear speakers (blew my 4" alpine), some non-component 6.5" fronts.

I have a low grade Alpine headunit cda-9883

I want to improve my sound system by adding either 6x9 cargo speakers (2 maybe), an amplifier and/or kicker.

or i could do one 6x9 speaker, and another 6x9 sub?

what do you think the best approach would be? would it sound weird if i have one 6x9 speaker, and then a 6x9 sub? or should i upgrade the rear speakers? or should I upgrade the front speakers to component and add the tweeters? which is highest priority-lowest priority is my question.

thanks for your help

1 - 20 of 24 Posts