Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a little case of fail going on today, went to swap my coilovers back to OEM and couldn't muster enough strength to get the rear strut into the clevis. I blame my wrist somewhat as its still not fully healed but none the less I'm wondering if the STi bar I installed this summer is making matters worse.

What I did: Installed OEM rear strut in the tower, held on with 3 screws not tightened down too much.

Problem: (Shoulda taken a pic) The strut body wouldn't line up with the clevis. It seems like its 2-3 degrees from 90 towards the front of the car so it wasn't sliding into the clevis. Also, the entire rear hub assembly seemed "too high", I was having to push it down to allow the strut to line up .

Now correct me if I'm wrong but the rear strut is longer than the front so I'm sure I wasn't mixing that up. Also, the brake line tab goes on the inside so I highly doubt I was using the wrong side strut. I used a pry bar to try and pull down the rotor etc.. but it seems I need a 3rd hand. Am I doing it wrong or just need another set of hand to push down while I line it up ?

Would installing the STi bar + MOboost + kartboy rear link be making this more difficult ?

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
HAHA!!! I just put on my winter setup last night too(Stock struts with swift springs) and I was having the same problems. With a 25mm swaybar in the rear and a 24mm sway in the front they were not budging, even with a pry bar sandwiched between the front lower control arm and the subframe. So, I just disconnected the sways. They were sure pissing me off though. If it weren't for the swaybars I could have done the job in half the time. My rear sway bar flipped when I lowered the car down to the ground, so I had to disconnect it again. Big sway bars and kartboy enlinks just don't line up together very well like stock swaybars. Argh!!!

With my tall winter tires (225/60/17) and my winter suspension, it feels like I'm driving a monster truck compared to my summer setup haha!!

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
I had the same issue with mine when I installed the stock suspension. My rear sway bar is stock though. It seems as though the sway bar is pushing too much for the bottom of the strut to line up. It's off just a little, but it's off. Best way would be to just remove the sway bar. I had my friend help me and we spent more time dealing with the sway bar on then it would have been to remove the damm thing beforehand.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Were you doing it one side at a time? Heh when I first put my wrx struts on, I had to use a jack just to get the hub up high enough to bolt in. But yeah, the sti bar will definitely make it harder. If you unbolted just 1 side it would make it much easier.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well at least I'm not the only one !! At least I was able to put the coilover back in no problem. Where should I disconnect the sway, using the kartboy endlink ?

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
you can either disconnect the endlinks from the bar or the lateral links. It doesn't matter. Once you get both ends disconnected, the hub is much easier to move. make sure both tires are either in the air or on the ground when disconnecting the endlinks.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
I guess I should join this... Guess what happened to me on Sunday.... My RSB flipped after we first attempted struts and swifts, then went to just the swifts with stock struts..
Bar looks flipped however ?????? (sorry forgot as i type this) said it was "walked?" But I don't know what that means. I am going to purchase upgraded endlinks.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I guess I should join this... Guess what happened to me on Sunday.... My RSB flipped after we first attempted struts and swifts, then went to just the swifts with stock struts..
Bar looks flipped however ?????? (sorry forgot as i type this) said it was "walked?" But I don't know what that means. I am going to purchase upgraded endlinks.
Picture? If the ends of the swaybar are below the lateral links, then it has flipped. do NOT drive it like that! "walking" usually describes side to side movement of the bar. What struts did you try? Why didn't you end up using them?

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
I tried KYB GR2's, however the front, atleast seemed to be for WRX? Or the swifts were being compressed soooo much it wasn't looking right. So.. The struts weren't really a big priority.. >>

[/IMG]

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I tried KYB GR2's, however the front, atleast seemed to be for WRX? Or the swifts were being compressed soooo much it wasn't looking right. So.. The struts weren't really a big priority.. >>

[/IMG]
Looks like it had been flipped, but is now in the correct orientation. Also looks like it has walked to the left a little. Throw some kartboy endlinks on and it should be good.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Looks like it had been flipped, but is now in the correct orientation. Also looks like it has walked to the left a little. Throw some kartboy endlinks on and it should be good.
:) YAY!! I should have done that a while ago. But I will order tomorrow and get dem bad boys on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts