Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy/hard are these spoilers to install? Does anyone know if any drilling is involved? Relocating the third brake light?

The price is right at Subuaru Genuine Parts, but I'm wondering if its something I could install in my driveway in a matter of minutes, or I should plan on putting aside most of a day to get it done? It looks like a simple bolt-on, but there are no details on the site about installation.

Any details would be helpful. I usually don't spend much money on aesthetic mods, but this adds a really nice touch to the rear of the Forester for not much money.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
From other members I think the conclusion is that its pretty easy, but you need to take your time and make sure everything is "alright" before you drill...

·
Registered
618 Posts
I recently put that spoiler on my Forester, and I bought it from the same place. Very easy installation. Here is a link to a "how to" at Scoobymods, http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2944.
This "how to" is for a SG model, but it is pretty much the same for the SF. The spoiler comes with a template that allows you to drill the holes in the right places, it takes 20 min, unless you loose one of the nuts like I did and have to make a trip to the hardware store.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. I thought I got fast answers on my motorcycle forum. Thanks guys.

Looks like just 4 holes drilled. I thought the spoiler had a brake light built in, but apparently it just looks that way on the SG. I think I'll order my spoiler this week.

Thanks again. :Banane01:

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Cool and good luck!

Don't forget to follow up on how it goes :)

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
I put mine on a week ago. It's relativly easy, just measure, remeasure, and then after you've measured do it again. Mine was just four holes, bu tcould be more if you don't measure corectly...

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the pic for the 98-01 models, it does include a brake light on the spoiler. Anyone have any info on that hookup?

·
Registered
618 Posts
The spoiler I got, for my 02, which is the same model, the SF, has no extra brake light. You are right though, in that picture it has a brake light, strange. That is the same place I ordered mine from too.

By the way, The Wraith, that black spoiler looks hot on your forester!

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
For those of you that have the spoiler, does it reduce the amount of dirt you get on the rear window? I drive 400-500 a week and that rear window sure gets dirty between weekly washes. It looks better than the rear window dust deflector, which make it look like a Caravan.

Does it add any wind noise?

·
Registered
285 Posts
ogopogo said:
For those of you that have the spoiler, does it reduce the amount of dirt you get on the rear window? I drive 400-500 a week and that rear window sure gets dirty between weekly washes. It looks better than the rear window dust deflector, which make it look like a Caravan.

Maybe a tiny reduction in dirt, but no wind noise (that I can hear anyway).

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
ogopogo said:

I reckon that mine makes it easier to keep the rear window cleaner... I couldn't tell you about the wind noise as they were standard on European S-turbos (at least in France)

·
Registered
2006 2.5XT 5 SP Man
1,012 Posts
im after one of these soon, do you guys know if anyone in the UK stocks them, i expect a genuine one will cost the earth :(

·
Registered
08 WRX 5 door
373 Posts
FYI - beware of subaru genuine parts. they sent me the wrong spoiler. they charged me for the right spoiler but sent a cheap old one. when i called them up i had to fight to get someone to talk to me because they were to busy. then they wouldn't do the return or a refund. I had to take pictures and send them and argue with Jamie. It was not a present experience. i eventually was taken care of but had to fight them to get resolution.

·
Registered
2006 2.5XT 5 SP Man
1,012 Posts
just ordered a brand new one from subaru UK, cost me £80 inc VAT, i was well chuffed, should be between 2-4 weeks,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts