Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering purchasing a 2018 Subaru Forester.

We live in the South where it is very hot and humid ~5-6 (or more) months of the year.

Our goal is to eventually start a family, and we are considering a compact SUV because we want to put kids in the back.

As such, one of my big concerns about the Forester is lack of rear air conditioning vents.

Anyone care to share their experience re air temperature in the rear seats in hot climates? If your experience is good, anything specific that helped the rear seats to feel cool (e.g., windows tints, accessories, etc.)?

Thank you so much!

Registered
I'm in AZ so I feel your pain. I've never had an issue, but I also have remote start and I will pre cool the car during the summer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Registered
There is, but auto climate control won't use them for cold air so it's pretty much for heat only.

I believe 19 models will have center console rear vent.

Registered
The forester has a lot of glass. IMO the car strains to keep cool on a hot day and if you're concerned about rear occupant comfort, you might wait for a 2019 Forester or consider another vehicle. Ceramic window tint may make a difference if you really want a 2018 forester. Not sure if you can tint the sunroof or not. There are a few posts saying it might cause the glass to crack. Not sure if that is true or not.

Registered
I installed a piece of Refletex庐 in top if the moonroof shade. makes a big difference.

Key to rear seat cooling is to not hog the front center vents and direct them up and to the rear center.

GD

Registered
cool ride

NO problems.

In fact I often have back seat passengers asking me to back off the AC, as they get colder back there. I blame the central dash AC vents aiming right to the back seat.

I do leave the sunroof cover closed on hot days. I try to park in the shade, and I did get a heavy tint on the sunroof.

PS I'm referring to various trips to FL or AZ. I know MI is not known for it's tropical climate.

Jeff

Registered
Not a problem...but

I've not had a problem here in Central Florida with my 2017 2.5i Premium, but when I bought the car I immediately brought the car to a Llumar shop and had the front passenger windows tinted with ceramic tint that matched the tint percentage of the factory tint, and the sunroof with a non ceramic tint. Even on the hottest, most humid day, the car cools quickly, and I've not had any passenger complaints. My only issue is the large front windshield. I have eyesight, and Subaru (and the Llumar dealer) both caution against tinting the windshield (even with a clear ceramic) as it may interfere with the eyesight system. I get more heat from the windshield than backseat passengers get from any sun. All in all it has not been a problem, and I've found the upside of the eyesight system far outweighs the glare and some heat from not tinting the windshield.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
There is, but auto climate control won't use them for cold air so it's pretty much for heat only.

I believe 19 models will have center console rear vent.
Thanks, any reference re the 19 models having center console rear vent?

I found a good photo on the Subaru website but can't clearly see one, although it may be there above the uppermost display. I tried to include a link to the photo or to attach it to the post, but apparently I don't have enough posts on this forum :( .

Thanks so much!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I've not had a problem here in Central Florida with my 2017 2.5i Premium, but when I bought the car I immediately brought the car to a Llumar shop and had the front passenger windows tinted with ceramic tint that matched the tint percentage of the factory tint, and the sunroof with a non ceramic tint. Even on the hottest, most humid day, the car cools quickly, and I've not had any passenger complaints. My only issue is the large front windshield. I have eyesight, and Subaru (and the Llumar dealer) both caution against tinting the windshield (even with a clear ceramic) as it may interfere with the eyesight system. I get more heat from the windshield than backseat passengers get from any sun. All in all it has not been a problem, and I've found the upside of the eyesight system far outweighs the glare and some heat from not tinting the windshield.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience and for the reference to LLumar shops (I've never tinted any car windows previously, so it is good to have a recommendation). Out of curiosity, how much did it cost (approximately/ballpark - e.g., $500 or $1000 or more?)? Do I understand correctly that only the front passenger windows and sunroof needed to be tinted? Thank you!

Registered
I had Llumar Ceramic done on all side windows and the rear hatch glass. Had it done for $250 as he also did my Audi and cut me a deal. It would normally have been $400. Great product and the install was flawless. I did not, and have never done a sunroof.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14

I found a good photo on the Subaru website but can't clearly see one, although it may be there above the uppermost display. I tried to include a link to the photo or to attach it to the post, but apparently I don't have enough posts on this forum :( .

Thanks so much!
I did a bit more research, and it looks like the 2019 actually has REAR air vents.

As such, if we want to buy a Forester, we will almost certainly wait for the 2019.

Any thoughts re buying a Forester which is a 1st year of a new generation?

Thanks again!

Registered
The Llumar tint has a lifetime guarantee and cost me about $250 (I used their best film). I've had other vehicles tinted by Llumar and have not had any problems. Don't know if the front windows are tinted on the 2019 models. If you decide to go that route, and they are not tinted (as is the case with the 2017, 2018 models; the other windows in the car come with factory tint on the Premium models and up), I strongly recommend you do so. The ceramic tint dramatically cuts down the amount of heat that transfers through the glass on a sunny day. I know some think tinting the moon roof can be a problem, (and with a ceramic tint it could possibly lead to the glass cracking), but the regular tint helped a lot. I can drive with the cover pushed back and the a/c can still keep up. So far (it's been a year with the car parked outside) I've not had any problems with the tinted moon roof.

Registered
i found the best way to cool a very hot car down is roll down the drivers side window only. that'll suck out hot air. if i think about it i shut the vent off by that window so the ac coming out there doesnt get sucked right out. this also works well for smoking and passing gas.

Registered

Thanks so much!
https://youtu.be/a0gsZGPrxOI?t=5m23s

Registered
We just purchased a 2018 (we're in SoCal) and had passengers for the first time sitting in the back. They were complaining that it was blowing real cold air there.... we kept turning down the AC and redirecting vents into every possible direction with no success.... We figured that my folks were just complaining too much ;)

Then my wife rode with our daughter in the back the other day and said - damn, it's blowing cold here!

So go for a test drive and see what it feels like in there...

Registered
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Unfortunately, we test drove before we realized this concern and so didn't really sit in the back.

We'll try to possibly just get a "test drive" where we sit in the back in the car on a hot day in the Subaru lot with the AC on to see how it feels.

Definitely good to have the option to wait until 2019, although then it will be the first year of a new generation...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts