Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Impreza WRX 5 speed manual
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this taken care of once already, but rust is a stubborn little bugger. On both rear quarter panels of my '98 Forester, there is rust right above the wheels. It started on the left. As soon as I noticed it, I brought it to a body shop and told them to slice out the bad section rather than risk it coming back. Since it's back, I'm assuming that the shop ripped me off. To make matters worse, the same thing is now happening on the right side as well. Does anyone know of any anti-rust products or suggestions of body shops near New Jersey? I would be most grateful.

LIP89

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Is it just rusting on the lip or is the quarter rusting further up? Any pictures? If its anything like the common GC impreza rear quarter rot, you may be a bit out of luck. That tends to start from the inside out which is a huge pain to fix. You could sand it and use por15 or get it repainted, but eventually it will likely come back again. Once rust starts its a downhill battle unfortunately, I'm battling some A pillar rust on my 04 already!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Even if they cut it out the first time they had to weld new material in place. The weld seams are a prime spot for the rust to start again. Once it starts it is almost impossible to prevent it from coming back.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza WRX 5 speed manual
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll post pics as soon as my camera and car are together at the same time. :shrug:
The rust is low on the quarter panel, right on the lip closest to the wheel.

LIP89

1 - 4 of 4 Posts