Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First time Subaru owner here! I bought a 2010 Forester and so far am very happy with it! Feel like an idiot with this question but cannot find the answer anywhere.

I just received my rear license plate and do not have the screws to mount it. I do not want to strip the plugs in the back, does anyone know what size screw is correct?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,756 Posts
If the mounting is the usual plastic/nylon inserts like on my '03 X & '07 FSXT, you can use pretty much anything that will screw in snugly. On my vehicles, I used stainless steel security screws. You can get those most anyplace that sells vehicle license frames. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all for the quick answers. Definitely looked everywhere I thought they might stick them....can't find them hidden anywhere.

·
Registered
2009 Impreza OutbackSport 4EAT
387 Posts
The dealer will have the screws you need and give them to you for free. I found I needed 4 screws for the back hatch so the license plate wouldn't make that *thwack* sound against the door every time I closed it.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Auto
169 Posts
So I guess I could bring this post back from the dead. I am trying to put license plate screws in my 09 forester. There are white plugs in each screw hole. Is this normal or can I take these out? As the screws I bought (license plate screws, from Auto store) are not going in. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,017 Posts
So I guess I could bring this post back from the dead. I am trying to put license plate screws in my 09 forester. There are white plugs in each screw hole. Is this normal or can I take these out? As the screws I bought (license plate screws, from Auto store) are not going in. Thanks in advance
From your local hardware store you can use #8-3/4" button/slotted/philips head sheet metal screws.

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
Question, you say they aren't going in. These are screws right? Not bolts with nuts that go on the other side? The white disks have a hole in the center for the screw? If your issue is the hole is to small for he screws you have, be careful. I had this problem and thought well I'll just force them in and the screw will cut the hole in the plastic bigger. That can create an issue where the screw gets too tight in the plastic molly and pretty soon the molly will start spinning in the hole (the plastic square plastic behind the part you see shears in the metal opening) Now you are stuck with a screw that won't come out unless you can access the back and hold the plastic while unscrewing the fastener. This is a major PITA trust me. After you take stuff apart to get to the back and get the screw out, you'll have to replace the plastic molly with one of these, the white square things here:

Cruiser Accessories 81230 Locking Fasteners, Domestic-Stainless : Amazon.com : Automotive

Best to either get a smaller screw or drill out the opening a little so it's not so tight.

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
The white parts, AKA plastic molly inserts, aren't really designed to be removed. You'd be way better off getting screws. I'm not saying it can't be done but trust me it would be a ton more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Auto
169 Posts
The white parts, AKA plastic molly inserts, aren't really designed to be removed. You'd be way better off getting screws. I'm not saying it can't be done but trust me it would be a ton more trouble than it's worth.
Cool. Upset I demolished the boxes to the nuts and bolts. Lol. Oh well I'll find a use for them. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
47 Posts
Another tip - get some flat faucet washers from your local Big Box HI store and place them between the back of the plate and the mounting holes. This will stand the plate off the deck a little and prevent the plate from scratching the paint.
I would not have thought of this quick tip...it worked great, thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts