Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone here is experiencing rear hatch rattles. Mine only does it when I go over bots dots or hard edged holes. I need to get someone to drive while I try and isolate the noise but it does make a similar sound when I slam the hatch so ...

I remember someone here adjusting the striker and curing their problem. Don't seem to recall many others with this problem. I'm not stock suspension wise so this may be the reason. I have a rear strut bar so that wont help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
Was wondering if anyone here is experiencing rear hatch rattles. Mine only does it when I go over bots dots or hard edged holes. I need to get someone to drive while I try and isolate the noise but it does make a similar sound when I slam the hatch so ...

I remember someone here adjusting the striker and curing their problem. Don't seem to recall many others with this problem. I'm not stock suspension wise so this may be the reason. I have a rear strut bar so that wont help.

Are you sure it's coming from the hatch?

I had some rattling noises which I thought were originating from the hatch, but it turned out that they were coming from the rear license place. There are only two screws holding the plate on the top, and the bottom of the plate was flapping aroud whenever I'd go over a bump in the road. After placing some weather-stripping along the back of the license plate (on the bottom), it stopped the vibrations and rattles.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. No, i'm not sure if it's the hatch. Yeah, I checked that first as I only had the top two screws initially but have siince added the bottom two. I'll look again but after adding the bottom two, it felt pretty solid with no play.

Hell, who knows it could be something else. It's just easier sitting here typing to ask a question than go out and try and figure it out!

·
Registered
122 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
Thanks for the reply. No, i'm not sure if it's the hatch. Yeah, I checked that first as I only had the top two screws initially but have siince added the bottom two. I'll look again but after adding the bottom two, it felt pretty solid with no play.

Hell, who knows it could be something else. It's just easier sitting here typing to ask a question than go out and try and figure it out!
It certainly can be exasperating trying to find those hidden rattles!

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X
63 Posts
Tailgate rattle.

I had the rear license plate rattle on my 06. Even the temporary plastic dealer plate flapped in the wind. I just added a new frame around the plate when the real plate arrived (disgarding the dealer advertising on the plate and frame) and used four screws. Nice and snug now.

I do have an interior rattle that I discovered was the plastic panels on the tailgate that are loose. When the dealer (Puyallup Subaru) installed the rear spoiler, they removed these panels to access the upper inside of the tail gate. The service tech did a sloppy job reinstalling them as they move around and rattle. Over the last three months, the sound is getting worse as the panels are becoming looser. I can actually slide them around with my hand. The plastic push rivets are probably stripped when the panels were removed and should have been replaced with new ones.

I am going to another dealer to get some suggestions - or have them fix it (under warrantee).

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:

I would still recommend putting some sort of rubber insulation between the license plate and the car body. You might also want to check out the mounting locations for the rear cargo cover. I discovered that when putting my baby seat in the middle facing forward that if I take the middle head rest out before mounting the baby seat, the plastic parts bump against the seat to make a truly annoying vibration...I put the headrest back before mounting the baby seat and no more noise.

Also, maybe you have some parts/tools loose in the spare tire well?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys all. It does it with everything out of the back so... I'm going to sit in the back and try and isolate the noise. I'm thinking if I hold the hatch by the inner handle then this will tell me if it's the hatch.

I initially though it was the hatch because it makes a similar sound when I shut it but obviously i'm hearing it from the outside.

I checked the plate but I can't get it to budge. Unless it's flexing in the center but if it was the plate...well i'm going to take that off too and go for a drive.

Otherwise believe it or not there's no rattles at all after I figured out the correct top hats for my C/Os. I rarely listen to the radio so i'm constantly listening for noises and it's actually well snubbed and quiet with 400lb. springs and 225/45-18s.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,278 Posts
Hi ND,

Have you checked the cargo curtain?

I was experiencing a little rattling from the rear everytime I went over potholes. Upon closer inspection, I've found out that it was my cargo curtain. The slot where the curtain snaps into place have a little play [aprox 1 mm or so]. I did a quick fix by using a velcro tape (the fuzzy side) I had around the house, cutting two pieces - 1/2 inch square - and stick each one on both sides, acting as cushions.

It works. The curtain now snaps in tightly and no rattling heard when driven over bumps/potholes.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT
1 Posts
Hi Folks... I'm a Newbie to this Forum, So Please be Gentle :)

Ok, so I've had my heart set on a 2009-2013 Subaru Forester for the longest time... Turbo, cause my other cars are quick ...Sage Green, to match the trim on my house and appease the neighbors. How hard could it be to find a good used Sage Green Turbo? Hard, let me tell ya. Finally, it's in my drive way!

Everything perfect... EXCEPT that crazy rattle coming from the back. Sounds like it's coming from the Tailgate. But not all the time. Only when I would hit a 'sharp' bump. Found out... lots o' Subaru Foresters out there with Rattling Tailgates, so says the Internet!

Did all the recommended 'fixes'... license plate isolation... taped striker bar... fiddled snubbers... foam between interior trim... all with no luck.

Couldn't stand it, so got into the back, donned a stethoscope, and asked my wife to drive. Do you know how dangerous it is to sit in the back of one of those things, as your lead-foot wife hits the road? Yikes !!!

So... found the rattle. Nope NOT in the tailgate at all (although one would have sworn it was coming from there). It was in the headliner. I could replicate the rattle, just sitting in the back, and pound on the headliner. It was loudest just in front of the rear lamp. A little more investigation found the exact spot. It was the emergency mechanism that you would close the sunroof / moonroof in case the motor fails to close it. I popped off the access 'button,' and was able to push up on the mechanism and replicate the sound exactly.

I popped off the car seat anchor trim just behind the mechanism, and slid an approximately 5/8" piece of rigid insulation between the emergency mechanism and the headliner. Now, as I pound on the headliner, the sound is 'mostly' gone... the rattle appears inherent in the mechanism, so doubt it can be totally rectified.

Next is to drive over some bumps and see if the insulation did the trick. Will post again when i find out.

Thanks for the opportunity to tell my story, and I hope it helps others in a like-situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts