Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried a search and found nowt on this topic.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me the purpose of the rubber trim that fits round the edge of the rear tailgate glass please? Yes, it keeps out water (probably) but is it a cosmetic thing for flush fitting of glass to body, or does it serve purpose?

Can I remove it and refit it without removing glass? I would use sika 255 to refit. I am having some spraying done and want to prep as much as poss to save dollar!

cheers

Mike

Attachments

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
No the rubber is stuck to the glass first then the widow is fitted. When they replaced my rear wind screen they tried to put the rubber trim in afterwards, which they couldnt do, so they had to take it out again to fit the rubber. it looks awful without the rubber trim in, it serves no purpose though other that to stop water ingress and look nice.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
boll*cks! I will try to extract it anyway :))

thanks Mike!

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
Mike,
Yyou can see in this pdf that it sticks to the back of the glass.........

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
the glass installer did try to put it on and the gap is too small in some areas. if youre only going to spray the bit in the middle you might get away with just removing a small section of the rubber.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mykp, that's what I'm gonna do. Don, should've checked me manual! Apologies.. and thanks!

Just read this from the manual regarding new glass:

CAUTION:
When a vehicle is returned to the user, tell him
or her that the vehicle should not be subjected
to heavy impact for at least three days.

:)

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
When I installed my rear glass, getting the trim to sit straight was the hardest part. It glues on first, but you have to keep checking it and straightening it out. Mines a little crooked at the bottom. I only did it to experience it, next time I'll pay someone.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gonna leave it in situ and glue it back 'in' (cheating!)

deebom you are a nutter for wanting to do that job, that is the last thing I would ever want to do!! (except maybe changing ANOTHER seized caliper on an MR2)

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
I posted several times asking advice, and was told to let the professionals do it. But the cheapest 'professional' I could find was £280 for glass(with no ariel in it.) and £65 for fitting. I really couldnt afford that at the time. I found a bit of glass at a scrappy, that took 20 mins to remove with a stanley knife and cost me £20. the glue I found on Ebay
WINDSCREEN WINDOW BONDING GLUE ADHESIVE CAR T4 T5 VAN on eBay (end time 05-May-10 22:46:50 BST)

which came with evrything you need, (you need to leave it sitting on a radiator for a while to soften it up a little.) I cleaned the glass up with nail varnish remover and glued it in.I held it in place with duct tape for 24 hours. It was a lot easier than people said it would be so dont be put off. You just need to take it slowly and have patience. I now have glass cover on my insurance, so they will deal with any future mishaps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts