1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

we have the 2010 forester limited.
Regarding the rear gate (door) to my understanding if door light in the front panel is on, it means the gate (door) did no close completely.

In our case, our rear gate requires a hard slam shut in order for the light to not show. If we give regular force to close (like other cars we have owned) the door light in the front panel remains lit. If we "lock" the doors it does not open so could it be a sensor problem?

We plan to take in for the dealer to check out, but just wanted some ideas from the forum and see if others had similar problems before.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
It is common complaint on the '09/'10s. The dealer should be able to adjust the latch for you.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
My hatch needs a pretty firm hand to close properly. Bothered me at first, I was used to a vehicle w/a much heavier hatch door that practically closed itself. Wouldn't say I have to slam it, tho. When you lock it w/ the key fob, can you move the hatch w/ your hand? If so, it's not really shut. Anyway, yeah I'd bring it to the dealer. No doubt they've had a lot of practice adjusting these latches.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Mine is the same way during the winter months, then it loosens-up enough during the summer when it's warm outside. I decided to leave it that way, and shut the door as follows: instead of placing my hand just below the back window, I place it at the lowermost area of the door below the license plate, and push down the door. I still have to slam it a little, but not nearly as much as when placing my hand on the door near the window (glass). It latches every time.
---
That said, some people have lubricated the latching mechanism and points of contact, and this has helped. Look for more threads on this subject.

·
Registered
2010 Forester M
97 Posts
I noticed this as well, my car has that rear bumper guard installed, looks like the bottom edge of the tailgate rubs against it when I close it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Please, what do you recommend as the best lubricant?
I am partial to silicone grease (or silicone spray), but don't really know what's best. I haven't lubricated the latching mechanism on my Forester. All I do is to close the back door as indicated in my previous post.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
I had the same problem on my '10 Forester and used Liquid Wrench silicon spray on the hinges near the top. That fixed it. I like the silicon spray because after the carrirer dries, it will not attract dirt as much as regular oil or grease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts