Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Unmodified XT Manual
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm converting a RHD UK forester to drive in Poland.
I need LHD headlights with electric levelling, but I've been told US flat-beam lights are not legal here. Anybody know?
I also need to move the rear fog to the right hand side. The loom looks different on each side. Anyone got any ideas what I need to do?
Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,089 Posts
@zuluwarier Legally speaking, I believe lights from the US are DOT marked, not E-Marked, making them illegal to be on the EU roads.....
As for beam pattern, I'm not sure what the difference might be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are plenty of US cars here - mostly corvettes and suchlike - so they can't actually be illegal, I don't think. Maybe just new equipment.
Euro lights have an uplift on the low-beam rhs (on the lhs for UK cars), whereas the US beam pattern is flat across the top

I've just been told that there are no aftermarket euro-type lights available, and Polmotor Subaru say that lights are over 4000 zloty (850 euros) each.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.0 Diesel
41 Posts
Find a LHD Euro-spec parts car? Probably the cheapest way of getting all the parts you need. Especially for a 2005-model, there should be donor cars around.

Some European countries does allow DOT-marked lights, but generally E-marked lights are required. I live in a country (Norway) where DOT-marked lights are legal. As you mentioned Corvette, these are actually sold officially in Europe, so there are Euro-spec lamps available.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,089 Posts
There are plenty of US cars here - mostly corvettes and suchlike - so they can't actually be illegal, I don't think. Maybe just new equipment.
Euro lights have an uplift on the low-beam rhs (on the lhs for UK cars), whereas the US beam pattern is flat across the top

I've just been told that there are no aftermarket euro-type lights available, and Polmotor Subaru say that lights are over 4000 zloty (850 euros) each.
I meant I'm not sure what the difference is between the EU LHD and US LHD beam patterns.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,936 Posts
@zuluwarier
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Find a LHD Euro-spec parts car?.
That would be good, except that I only need lights and maybe mirrors, plus I've only just arrived in Poland, I live in a flat with nowhere to store anything, and I'm on a very tight budget :cool:

It's hard to get information here. I've talked to people who say US spec is no problem, and others, including official testers, who say it is. I don't speak Polish yet so all my info is secondhand via my girlfriend

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I meant I'm not sure what the difference is between the EU LHD and US LHD beam patterns.
Um, "Euro lights have an uplift on the low-beam rhs... whereas the US beam pattern is flat across the top" so if you pointed the lights at a wall the US low-beam would be horizontal for its whole width whereas the euro low-beam would be horizontal on the left and middle and would have a higher 'bump' on the right

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe its my old software (XP/FF25) but the account details page shown here is blank (ie there are no fields to fill in)

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,926 Posts
Probably, yes, sorry. It's a UK spec 2005 2.0XT
Does the LH rear lamp have provision for a fog lamp bulb included on the internal lamp loom ?

If not you could convert the Backup light on that side to a rear fog using a Red bulb/LED with a slight rerouting/ modification of the loom where it connects to the rear Lamp plugs

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,926 Posts
Another possibility is to open up the socket hole in the LH lamp to accept the fog light socket currently used in the RH lamp.
Transfer the lamp looms between rthe lights and then route an extension wire from the RH main loom to the LH main loom.

Back of LH lamp without Foglight at lowest level

Back of LH lamp with Foglight socket (although lamp loom has been cut)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another possibility is to open up the socket hole in the LH lamp to accept the fog light socket currently used in the RH lamp.
Transfer the lamp looms between rthe lights and then route an extension wire from the RH main loom to the LH main loom
I had a similar idea, but slightly simpler in that I open up the socket hole, cut the loom close to the existing socket and extend it to the other side.

Is the 'backup' light US-speak for the reversing light?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@don1952
Thanks. 'Backup' in UK English suggests something that remains on when other things fail, and I thought maybe US cars had some kind of emergency/backup system.
I'm waiting for the rain to stop to finish rewiring the fog light. It's a pita cutting out the blank hole - I thought it would be partly cut, but no. I'll change the looms as you suggest and run a wire across the back.
I also found genuine LHD headlights. 560 euros the pair, ouch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
560 is for the non-electric levelling version. I can't find the equivalent electric levelling version - anybody know?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts