Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is looking at a new vehicle for his wife. They have two children, one of which will soon be in a rear-facing child seat. Is there enough room in the back to place the rear-facing child seat and then sit comfortably in the passenger seat?

He claims the rear-facing seat they have is big so it takes up some room.

Oh, and pictures would be fabulous if available.

Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Honestly, I think Subaru's suck for this.

My only complaint about this car is the lack of passenger room in the rear.

I am 6 foot 2, so the rear facing seat behind the drivers seat was out. A front facing seat is ok, but soon my son's feet will be getting the seat back all dirty...:(

My wife is 5 foot 7 and she fits with the rear seat behind the passenger seat, but to be honest, not very well. I wish there was a way to turn off the passenger side front airbag in the Forester. Her seat is too close.

When we have to take all four of us....Me, wife, 2 year old son and the baby, we take our Nissan Sentra.....that sucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
we went through this, the problem is he is trying to fit a CONVERTABLE seat which by nature is huge and a pain in the neck--best bet is to buy a dedicated rear facing seat (or borrow) for the first 6 mos, then use the convertable as a front facer, which will fit fine. Using that monstosity with an infant is a pain, you don't want to lug that thing in and out when the baby is sleeping. You need a big Crown Vic to fit one of those things, don't bother.

We have 2 kids and 2 dogs, the subaru is nice, so is the minivan...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agree that it is a bit cramped back there for the baby seat. My son is 18 months and kicks the back of my seat already. My wife's [smaller] Ford Focus seems to have more space back there :confused:

A piece of advice, which I subscribe to, is to always fit the baby seat behind the driver. The logic is that the reflex reaction is to protect yourself in case of an impending incident - we're talking split second evasive manouvers here. If the baby is behind you, then you will instinctively take action to protect them too by definition.

HTH

Suresh

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
313 Posts
When is enough really enough?

Probably never. I transported my two oldest children in an Alfa Romeo GTV when they were from 0 to 3 years in the mid 1990's; that was (just) ok, but we managed.

In contrast, my former car was an Audi A8, but still my oldest son (age 5) kicked the back of the driver's seat, not only iritating his father (;-)) but also getting the seat back dirty.

If you're looking for plenty of room, you should seriously consider buying a (much) larger car like, e.g. the VW MultiVan/Shuttle (one of which I'll probably buy as my wife's next car).

Even so, carrying children in a car will inevitably smudge the interior: baby food, vomit, chocolate, bisquits, paper, mud, ice cream, etc - you name it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have found the only advantage of being short.... You will fit in a car with two baby seats. My wife and I are both under 5'7" and have twin in infant seats. It is a little cramped, but not impossible. The rear cargo hold everything that we need, Twin stroller, traveling bag, etc.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
jalterio said:
I have found the only advantage of being short.... You will fit in a car with two baby seats. My wife and I are both under 5'7" and have twin in infant seats. It is a little cramped, but not impossible. The rear cargo hold everything that we need, Twin stroller, traveling bag, etc.
Same here (the short part not the twins thing) :) My son (9) is starting to catch up with us already...

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Suresh said:
A piece of advice, which I subscribe to, is to always fit the baby seat behind the driver. Suresh
I always thought the correct place for a child seat was behind the passenger seat. IIRC, there's a chance in a rearend collision that the seat back will collapse backwards and crush whoever's back there. Of course, if you've got two front passengers, the point is moot. Plus you can keep an eye on them in the rearview mirror.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
The reason for installing on the passenger side is so that when you park on the street you don't expose the infant to the traffic on exit/entry.

With one adult on board this also means you can see the little darling/monster , and in the event of an accident the survival space for both occupants is doubled.

rgds
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts