Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester Auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Ive just bought my first forester and joined the forums for some valued info. :icon_biggrin: I've noticed the rear end of my forester is lower than the front. I've been eyeing off other foresters in the hope of seeing one lower at the back like mine, no joy! Would it be old springs sagging or do I need new shocks? I've jumped on the back a few times and it doesn't bounce more than once. I need some more clearance as I wanna take it off road to my favorite camp spots. Should I get the raised king springs all round or is a lift kit a better option?
Cheers.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
The older Foresters suffer from a thing we have termed "saggy butt syndrome". Due to the high cost of the self leveling struts few of us buy them as a replacement but as far as I know, they won't cure the problem either. What we use are purpose made spacers, usually phenolic but sometimes aluminium, mounted on top of the rear struts but under the mounting point. Paranoid Fabrications is a good place to go for these and for your year, the 04 - 07WRX spacer is the correct shape. You will need to estimate how much you want to lift the back end but the spacers come incrementally from 1/4" upwards. Do a search on SBS as there has been much posted on this forum. I have 1/2" spacers in the back on top of WRX struts all round. and that is a good place to start. If you feel you need more, then you can order the extra later on however, if you go passed 1/2" it is recommended you replace the strut mount studs and again, plenty of info available here.

Also, be aware that an illusion is created by the different radius wheel arches in the front and back, use the sill as a point of reference. The photo is about two years old, after I fitted the SBSs and the WRX struts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts